forward compatibility

wiht the wildfire release I understood that we could save files to earlier versions. i have since read that thisi is not the case but there is a file type we can save to so we can open it in an earlier version (minus parametric and other stuff)

can someone lead me to this documentation?

Thanks

Reply to
Robert

This ability has never existed in Pro/e and still does not exist in Wildfire.

: i have since read that thisi is not the case but there is a file : type we can save to so we can open it in an earlier version (minus : parametric and other stuff) : If you go to 'File>Save a copy', the input screen shows your file name at the bottom and a line that identifies the Type as a 'Part file'. This file type identification box has a down arrow at the right which, when pressed, produces a list of available export formats. These are non-parametric and not version dependent. One of the more popular and widely used and supported is IGES. You can export your file data to this format, then create a non-parametric solid or surface, single import feature part in an earlier version of Pro/e. Built into Pro/e are various surface modification tools for working with IGES imported surfaces. While these export formats have many different uses (for example, STL is a format used by stereolithography machines), they can also be used by other programs (UG, Catia, AutoCAD, etc) to communicate 2d and 3d data.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

There is a workaround that sometimes works. you can use the udf to copy all the features in a part. you can then open the udf in an earlier version of ProE. Do a google search on comp.cad.proengineer will bring a up a website( if it's still up) that goes through this process

cheers Craig

Reply to
craig stevens

I think this is an interpretation of a new feature of Wildfire using the ATB... It goes something like... a seat of 2001 and Wildfire can pass things back and forth and only the stuff added by each seat would be seen in the tree. Both seats need config.pro options turned on to make it operational.

I had a Sales guy describe it a little too glowingly and I tried sending a file and when it didn't work, the real description of how it is supposed to work came around and I gave up. I was starting to get the impression that it was meant for folks using Intralink and it was just a curiousity for me.

Call the hotline and ask. Let us know how it goes.

-Dan

Robert wrote:

Reply to
meld_b