Differences between UG and Pro/E

Please could anyone say to me which are the most important differences between Ug and Pro/E?

I 'm using UG v.18 to design some complicated surfaces (ship surfaces), but for a new job is required Pro/E.

Reply to
andrea

UG is easier to use. (15 years on UG, 2 on Pro/E, including Wildfire.)

Reply to
Ben Loosli

Ben Loosli wrote: .

Easier. how?

Reply to
Bernt Hansson

That was a short answer. From a sys admin view, UG is easier to setup for everyone to use a common set of config files. The config files themselves have a description in them of the option, so there is no looking in multiple places to see what each option does. No redundant application of options; tol_display comes to mind, in both the .dtl file and config.pro with the .dtl setting overriding config.pro.

From a designer standpoint, the ability to make parametric prismatic solids with out sketching is a plus. Most of our parts are sheetmetal that start with a rectangular shape and then get a flange added. Sheetmetal flat patterns that are 2D for ease of passing on to nesting system. Assemblies that don't have a million (okay, I exaggerated) datum planes so all you see is planes and no geometry. A consistent user interface where all modules use the same command structure, not window toolbar for one module and menu manger for others.

There is more, but this is just a start.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

Aha..I see. Thank you.

Bernt Hansson

Interesting... I guess I've had a little discussion with the hotline about config.pro functionality... but they've always been able to help me and they've never been confused by any redundancy. And I agree the user interface (of Wildfire especially) seems like a work in progress with some areas very polished and some others a bit old...

But how about stuff the other way? Is UG a multiwindowed system? Can you work on multiple parts simultaneasly? How about hotline support? Do they answer the phone with live technical help? What is that interface??? a sea of icons where you need to remember where they are? The datum planes in Pro/E can be turned on an off with one button, so what's UG do? Not show you them at all?

I'd like to hear some more on down your list.

-Dan

Bernt Hanss>

Reply to
meld_b