New to Pro-e

I'm going to get a job as Cad designer, the company use pro-e, but i have only experience of 3d design tools like lightwave, maya, power animator and solid thinking....

they say to me that experience in specific software isn't important but years of pratice in modelling...

how about the learning curve of pro-e? any reference online? (tutorials, some manuals?)

i'have 30 days to have an idea of pro-e.... it's better i go to seaside and wait or download a not legal version and start to make some tutorial because it's absolutely impossible to understand in few days?

(sure, my work in this company will be at minimum level... but i'd like know something before start :) )

bye matteo.

Reply to
MatteoS69

Boltman

Not an easy system to run, but getting easier, imo. But, if they are planning to train you, to let you get the hang of the software, it's the best gig in the world. Go to the beach and take a Gary Lamit book with you ('Intro to Pro/E' or something like that from Amazon. The one on Wildfire includes the trial software [30-day Pro/E licence] plus tutorials for under $100.)

: You can get some training materials at

: Your new company needs to provide you with a license so that you can : load the software.

If you're not getting the Lamit book or a license from your future employer, at least get the Pro/E Student Version (full Engineering II software package) for $300 from JourneyEd.com and you don't have to worry about illegal and cracks and scrounging tutorials and all that bullshit.

However, imho, a company which says that the main thing is knowing 3D modelling and will give you a break on the specific software is a very wise, very well led company, indeed. And they are right ~ the principal divide is between the old world of drafting and the new world of 3D modelling. Then the next divide is between NURBS and solid geometry with features and parametrics. Your biggest challenge will be the same as everyone starting out in engineering ~ what is a good number and first of all, that everything *has* a number.

But, the other thing you obviously don't know is what does this new company have planned for you, what are their plans, how do they see you helping these plans. My advice would be to learn ISDX, the Pro/E equivalent of NURBS surface modelling. Also, learn surface modelling, curves thru points, datum features (planes, points, axes, curves) and anything that says 'Advanced'. Compared to what you've been through, this really isn't that hard. Just don't get stuck on how you did it before. Pro/E isn't like that.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

"David Janes" ha scritto nel messaggio news:Lqewb.36558$yJ.8439@okepread02...

:D great... i'll do it :)

=:-O only 300$ for student version, sure i could buy it. I'didnt think they r planning to give me a regular license for home training. :(

first time i'll learn to design their pieces, after i'll go where this "piece" were used and make reverse engineering operations on broken items. in order to have almost a week of "bonus time" to study and modify custom tools.

:D i love challenge :D

bye matteo.

Reply to
MatteoS69

if you can use maya or lightwave you should have no problems with surfacing and the like in pro e however the thing i found was that in maya you cant really make things to a size its more of a guestimate

eg if you wanted to make a 10 dia bar it isnt round its made of nurbs curves or polys therefore the principle is the same but the results are different also lofts are differently processed as are sweeps a sweep in maya is similar but not the same as a sweep in an engineering package such as pro

but apart from that you should get on ok i found it was better to play for a while to find out where all the commands are you will using and for the most part the terminology is the same but does different things

Reply to
mikemcdermid