Looking for Pro/E Magazines

Hi,

I am looking for any magazines that deal with pro/e (hints, tips and how-to articles). Something I could receive in the mail would be fine, but on-line magazines would be fine also. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Mr.B

Reply to
Mr.B.

I am looking for any magazines that deal with pro/e (hints, tips and how-to articles). Something I could receive in the mail would be fine, but on-line magazines would be fine also. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Mr.B

This magazine used to be a mainstay, don't know if it's still around:

Connect Press sponsors a website for the Pro/e community, including some of the stuff you mentioned:
Bart Brejcha and Design-engine have a pretty lively site with training, some publishing:
In truth, though, it seems that magazine publishing on Pro/e has gone bankrupt. All that I can find are web sites. However, there are many other resources on Pro/e. Below is a FAQ answering "Where can I get help, training and support on Pro/e?" _________________ For help with Pro/e, start with this. It's the user area of the PTC website which has several free introductory tutorials on WF & WF2:

The three listed below provide professional training courses on every function within Pro/e, including on Intralink PDM. All offer project-based, hands-on training. CADTRAIN is strictly CBT, everything online, downloadable training files, Camtasia based demos, onscreen tutorials with screen captured graphics. CADquest, on the other hand, is textbook based with downloadable training files.

Those from CADTRAIN and CADquest are full, PTC-style courses and parallel PTC's course structure. Frotime, which also does CBT, has shorter, more partial tutorial style training. They're approaching course structure by offering several tutorials on the same functionality, such as Surfacing 1, 2, & 3 and Advanced Surfacing 1, 2, & 3. With each costing around $15 and a Surfacing Subscription (6-8 tutorials) costing $60, they have pricing structure suited to invididuals who don't have corporate resources behind them. In addition, about one into course in each series is free.

CADTRAIN

CADquest

Frotime

Community Colleges and Universities: PTC has an extensive network of schools that either train students in Pro/e software or use it to teach drafting/modelling/engineering/design. If you know of such a chool, they likely have an Educational License which lets them offer any course taught by PTC. Here's a peek at the educational version and what it contains:

It has the advantage of spreading what would normally be a 40 hour sprint through

a ton of new material over an 8-12 week period. Lot's more opportunity to get

comfortable with the software and likely new concepts of design, lots more tube

time and time to ask questions of an experienced user. It's where I got most of my

formal training; I highly recommend it.

Numerous books, one by Roger Toogood, another by L. G. Lamit and several

specifically on sheetmetal with WF2. All available on Amazon for under $60, they

provide a good, broad overview of working with WF2. All by professional writers

and teachers. Lamit, for example, has been teaching Pro/e for over a decade at De

Anza College, Cupertino CA (Silicon Valley) and has written several books on

Pro/e. Toogood's authored most of the Student Edition Tutorials since I-squared at

least. These guys know Pro/e.

Student Edition from Journey Ed:

for $150, you get the Flex3C version of the software ($20,000 retail value), help

files and one of the above books on CD with training files in SE format. Pro/e was

the first, and for a while, the only major player in solids modelling, with a

Student Edition of the program plus a longstanding, comprehensive training program

accessible from the SE. On your own PC, with complete autonomy, you have full access to the entire power of Pro/ENGINEER design software. And most PCs, with a decent, OpenGL-compatible graphics card, can do the job.

PTC University:

Don't underestimate learning it straight "from the horses mouth". Don't know what

it takes to sign up for this, probably a year's maintenance/support agreement,

paid in advance. Still, if you've got it, this is a valuable resource: what you'd

get in a class, no travel involved, all you need is a terminal with pro: complete,

comprehensive, convenient. Sit at home and learn from PTC. I think this is

extremely cool. Just like their webcasts, 'How to' and 'Tips and Tricks' sessions.

PTC offers, directly, and indirectly supports, more educational and training

opportunities than any other corporation on earth. The user community lags

pitifully behind; not much in the way of free, user developed tutorials and

training resources available out there. I've heard of some university stuff; also,

some stuff on websites, but most is out of date, scattered, fragmentary, partial elements of a comprehensive training program, and, of this, the community offers nothing.

PTC/USER Email 'Exploder'

ProECentral has an active colllection of forums

Engineering Tips has a forum for each major CAD software, including Pro/e

Also called Pro/e User, this site is a collection of useful links plus a download

site with, as are most, outdated files. Would be nice if they actually (whoever

'they' are) tried to develop this thing. For example, they've got a list of sites

called "Companies that use Pro/e". The list is lame: extremely partial and highly

incomplete, missing big users in many areas. If they decided to be a little more active, open, and responsible, they'd enlist the help of actual Pro/e Users to correct their list so that it could be a valuable and reliable resource.

Here's one suggested by Michael Corbett; though it's not tutorials, it is resources
Part of thomasregister.com has models as well.

David Janes

Thanks for taking the time, David.

A few more (maybe useful) links ...

http:// ....

technology.calumet.purdue.edu/met/tickoo/faculty/proe/proe-wf/proe-wf.htm

Sheet Metal

Advanced Assy

Janes

I am looking for any magazines that deal with pro/e (hints, tips and how-to articles). Something I could receive in the mail would be fine, but on-line magazines would be fine also. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Mr.B Also, subscribe to this from PTC:

David Janes

Reply to
Janes