OO Figures n Painting Faces?

Hi,
Got myself some OO figures.
Not being a great artist where paint is concerned I am looking for
hints, techniques and web sites that deal with paining faces.
I suspect it is more suggestive lines rather than micro detail.
Anyone got suggestions?
I'd be interested in close up pics on the web of facial detail?
Any hint or tips?
Pete
Reply to
Pete
Pete
Try the site
It also has some interesting links.
Martini -----------------------------------------------------
Reply to
Martini
Martini....you took the words right off of my keyboard :o))
Reply to
Gene
Toy soldier sites would be worth a look. Personally in OO I used humbrol dark earth for faces, the added a spot from a 'tempo' type nylon tipped pen on the chin and in each eye, before the ink dries wipe upwards with the thumb to swipe the ink upwards where it lodges to provide 'shading'. That was 4mm soldiers, you may wish to add a touck of cream, red or flesh coloured paint to the dark earth to produce some variation in complexion.
Reply to
Mike
Try some military modelling books. Military modellers seem to have great figures, but often grotty scenery; railway modellers have exact fine-scale trains, but all with the same passengers stuck to paving slabs.
Reply to
Arthur Figgis
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:54:58 GMT, Pete wrote in message :
Takes me back a bit. You can get away with using fine technical drawing pens over plain flesh pink (well dried or the pens are a goner) if you're not too fussy, but the real solution requires a thin brushes and a rest to hold your hand in just the right place. That linked site is good - the idea of painting flesh over black (or dark red) works well.
Blu tack is your friend :-)
Guy
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?
Martini,
Thankyou for that link. The figures are just stunning and a little scary for a beginner but also quite inspiring to what can be achieved.
I like his technique and interestingly he uses acrylics which I was wondering about as I have more experience with them in other areas.
Cheers
Pete
Reply to
Pete
Mike,
I hadn't considered using pen to give shade and detail but thats a good tip.
I noticed how fine some of the model soldiers were. One thing I have considered doing (and am now waiting on a bag of jumbled plastic soldiers) is filing and cutting appropriate ones down to make up various background civilians and staff.
Cheers
Pete
Reply to
Pete
Arthur,
I had noticed that. I guess its a matter of focus and interest.
I'm limited in space and my interest I think at the moment lays in the scene rather than the operation or actual movement.
I think I prefered getting off the train on the Severn Valley Railway rather than being on it. I liked the ambience and being able to see the train in relationship to the station life and surroundings.
Cheers
Pete
Reply to
Pete
Guy,
I'm going to have to try this as it doesn't seem logical somehow but seems to work great for the artist in the link above.
I think I'm going to have to do a stationary shop soon. Could have done with some blu tack this evening constructing a model tram (tower trams.)
First plastic model I have done in over 25 years and the detail seems to be far finer than I remember... Lots of cussing and swearing I'm afraid :)
Pete
Reply to
Pete
Me too.
I tend to feel like that with Class 455s...
Something that often gets overlooked. Why is my [model] train here, where is it going. I confused people at my club by stoping the trains I was controlling in the station platforms. The signalling chaps got all confused when I said the little passengers would need to get off :-)
Reply to
Arthur Figgis
Like all art forms its being lost in the moment that counts... If you can be lost in the moment and be a big kid at the same time thats even better :)
Pete
Reply to
Pete
For an unusual scenic feature on a layout, how about modelling an outside broadcast by a popular TV antiques programme? Trouble is, do Humbrol still make their fluorescent orange enamel to give its presenter the correct complexion, or was it discontinued due to being 'a bit of a duffer'? ;-)
David E. Belcher
Reply to
David E. Belcher
David,
LOL.
By antique presenters you don't mean Valerie Singleton and alike?
Pete
Reply to
Pete
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 01:26:52 GMT, Pete wrote in message :
You mean shopping over the web? ;-)
Guy
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?
Guy,
Well I spilt some glue on my computer chair and haven't been able to got up for days now.. Wonder if eBay does TV dinners?
I thought "To Do a shop" had 'ram raiding' conertations... Mind you "Ram raiding" has rather more strange conertations about farmers, wellington boots and two back legs... :o)))
Pete
Reply to
Pete
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:47:25 GMT, Pete wrote in message :
Ah, truly a stationary shop, then. I wonder if you can get stationery while stationary?
Guy
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?
This could get daft :)) but.... after years of hard work I can now remain perfectly stationary whilst I buy my stationery at the station. Its all that training' that allows me to do this.
Shame the training and use of stationary didn't help my spelling though :o)) (phew.. got there in the end...)
Pete
Reply to
Pete
Pete, Whilst your original post was to do with painting OO faces, I assume that these faces are attached to clothed bodies that also need painting. If so, please don't do as many figure painters seem to do and use glossy paints for clothes. Nothing look worse than a group of figures all shiny and bright on a model railway. Matt paint for all clothes, perhaps with a bit of a gloss on the seat of the pants of clerky types, and perhaps a semi-matt for leather jackets. Regards, Bill.
Reply to
William Pearce
Hi Bill,
This is true though I was thinking about including a minature nudist colony by the beach :)
Thats a good tip. I've just being going through this when thinking about painting the seats in a tram and whether I wanted to represent cloth or leather.
I like the idea of painting the seats of clerks to make them shiney :o)))
Pete
Reply to
Pete