Lima OO scale

Can anyone kindly advise: I have acquired some Lima rolling stock, supposedly all OO gauge, but some are distinctly smaller than others ? for instance mark 2 (I think it is) Inter-City carriages some 264 mm long and some 232 mm long (and corresponding width & height). Track gauge is the same. How come different scales? Thanks

Reply to
Mike Brayshaw

On 14/07/2007 13:00, Mike Brayshaw said,

Lima made some MkII stock to HO scale, as well as to OO. There was also a Class 33 to HO scale, as well as some Pullman coaches. The track gauge is correct for HO scale, but OO people run on narrow gauge track :-)

I have a set for dale at some point!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

They also did a 4f in HO with coachs, but I can't remember what the coachs were based on.

Reply to
estarriol

Care to sell the smaller ones? (They're HO scale, correct for 16.5mm gauge.)

Reply to
Wolf

I'm sure dale will be very happy about that ;-)

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Don't bother, they are dreadful. These coaches might be to 3.5mm height & length, but are to 4mm scale width. Thus making them squat. Based very loosely on BR Mk1's.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

On 14/07/2007 15:06, Ian J. said,

Whoops :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Hi Lima originally made HO models which also ran on 00 track. Later on they released a 00 British range and discontinued their H0 British models.

Dave

Reply to
FRANCIS TUCKLEY

No, it's 00 models that run on H0 track!

Reply to
MartinS

I model British HO! I need more Mk IIs.

There were 3 different Mk Is in a variety colours. I think 4 different Mk IIs in blue/grey. Pullmans were freelance European in BR brown/grey.

2 brake vans LMS + GWR HSO Box van. BR 33 green and blue. 4F Assorted European wagons, locos in BR markings.

Regards, Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

Opps, forgot freelance coach in GWR livery for toy train sets.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Not if you're modelling 4' 1 1/2" gauge! ;-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Perfect for modelling the Glasgow Underground

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

Did they operate a lot of LMS 4Fs and BR33s???

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Absolutely ;-)

It hides the fact that the Lima HO 4F's had reversing rods on both sides. Perhaps they used the 33s to generate the power.

The Glasgow Underground used to have only island platforms on a double track oval with no points and handed trains, for those that didn't know.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

And it actually used crane shunting, in that it had a vertical lift in the tracks to lift stock to the ground level maintenance depot, and, of course, drop them back down again to get back into service.

The simplicity of the circuit derived from the original system which was rope hauled, with a huge continuous loop of rope for each track which was kept in constant motion by a winding station. The carriages started and stopped by clamping or releasing the rope.

I think I remember that the ropes were the longest continuous pieces of rope in the world at the time. The preservatives used on the ropes also gave "The Subway" a distinctive aroma which lasted from the time of its electrification in 1935 up to the modernisation in the

70s. I've been away from Glasgow since 1980 so maybe some present inhabitants might be able to say if the aroma has outlasted the modernisation :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

On 15/07/2007 17:07, Jim Guthrie said,

I guess that must have been discontinued years ago. I worked on it about 20 years ago, and I'm sure there were turnouts to the maintenance depot.

Nasty, horrible job. Working on live TETS wires in the damp trying to get used to being electrocuted. Lovely!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

They do have ground-level maintenance and storage yards now. You can drive the "Clockwork Orange" with the BVE train simulator. Tunnel diameter is only 10ft - 2 ft smaller than London's deep tubes. Recorded anouncements say "Mind the dooors" in a Scots accent.

Reply to
MartinS

My investigations reveal two separate types - I have both: the ones Kevin's referring to are indeed squat and curiously continental style. But the HO models are exactly the same as the OO, just smaller. I'll send Kevin a picture.

"Kevin Martin" wrote

Reply to
Mike Brayshaw

Well, fascinating where my query has taken us!

Thanks to everyone.

Reply to
Mike Brayshaw