O Gauge LIMA Coaches

Has anyone converted two LIMA O Gauge Coaches ( BSK) into a a full Brake BG

There a convereted Coach adsvertised on E bay and i would like to know how it was done but getting the hacksaw out on £60 worth of coaches is a bit daunting

Reply to
IOOA

One thing you can't convert, Lima coaches are 1/48th scale not 1/43. They will always look anaemic alongside genuine Gauge-0 coaches.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I've done the same thing with HO BSKs. Lima used the same design scaled up to 1:45 for 0 Gauge. The result isn't a perfect representation, being several millimeters out in length, but it certainly looks right. I'm still looking for something to do with the two remaining second class ends as they make up a coach rather longer than the Mk Is.

Just cut one side of the center door on one and the other side on the other. Make the cut in the chassis as far away from center as possible. Ditto roof, windows and interior.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

They are 1:45 - standard European 0 Gauge.

Reply to
Greg.P.

Reply to
titans

Normal Mk1 length is 64'6, a BG is 57' - 7'6 difference.

Reply to
Rich Mackin

True, that's why the underframe and roof need shortening to match when you cut off the second class sections and assemble the two brake sections equally centered on the (now) center door. The overall length of the finished full brake is within 6" of scale in HO. (about 1.5mm) I pondered over making an extra cut and glue to remove that millimeter, but who can measure a model on the layout by eye? The 12'6" of extra length of the remnant second class parts doesn't equate to any existing design of MkI, even with a compartment removed.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

That sounds better. (ouch)

Reply to
Greg.P.

I think £30 is a bit strong for a Lima Mark One and think that you should be able to find them for less. I have seen them at £18 - £20 each and recently. Is it an ebay thing? I've looked several times and frequently come away thinking how much cheaper things are at swap meets!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Towler

Where do you think the people who sell on ebay buy their stuff?

Reply to
MartinS