Lima O gauge

I have heard that Lima OO is not quite compatible with Hornby / Bachmann etc - but does the same thing apply to Lima O gauge?

ZD

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar

Not compatible in what way? If you mean couplers, wheels, and such like, well, no two Brit outline manufacturers use the same standards anyhow, so what diff soes it make? You just junk the couplers etc that you don't want and replace them (sometimes with a great deal of fudging and kludging and improper language.) Or buy replacement parts, which may cost you more than the the whole car or engine.

If you mean, is it the same scale? I dunno. My Lima GWR diesel railcar looks OK to me, scalewise - ie, somewhat oversize for the track. :-)

If you like the Lima O scale stuff, just buy it. I'm sure you can make it run well with your other rolling stock.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

"Zipadee Doodar" wrote

Lima OO is pretty much compatible with both Hornby and Lima although there are discrepancies over trivia such as the length of the axles (24.5mm for Lima whereas Hornby & Bachmann use 26.0mm) in their rolling stock.

Lima O-gauge however is a totally different scale. The normal standard for British O is 7mm:1 foot scale, but from memory Lima used ¼":1 foot. Doesn't sound much, but try putting the two together and you'll see a significant difference.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

Sorry, that should read Lima & Bachmann.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Are you sure it shouldn't read Hornby and Bachmann? ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

You're quite right; it's the Famous Grouse communicating again! :-(

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

"Dick Ganderton" wrote

A common trait! Didn't they do the same in OO with their 'Deltic' and the 'Hoover' - both were a cross between HO and OO-scales.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Or perhaps famous gricer?