Helijan O Gauge

Is anyone here shocked at the price being asked for the new O gauge Hymek? £475 each puts me off starting in O Gauge - I'd much rather try
my hand at a cheap loco kit and hope its not too difficult! I find it interesting that Bachmann can do O gauge american outline diesels for substantially less.
Add pictures here
✖

I would think the answer to your implied question is that the market for a Hymek is very much smaller than the market for an American diesel.
You are not comparing like with like.
Paul
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:59:14 +0100, John Ruddy

No sign of these on the Bachmann website, where did you find them? (0n30 is not 0 gauge!)
Keith
Add pictures here
✖
Not being an expert on the different US based models, but there are a number of diesels listed under O Gauge here http://www.bachmann.co.uk/price1.php4?prod_selected=american
If the prices are right, then they are ridiculously cheap in comparison to the Helijan model.
Add pictures here
✖

They might be listed 'under O scale' but they are not O scale, the only O scale items are the plasticville structure kits and the On30 stock. The listr is just badly organised.
Keith
Add pictures here
✖

✖
If you go to the US site there are no locos or rolling stock listed under 0 gauge, only buildings.
Ollie

Add pictures here
✖
"John Ruddy" wrote

The Bachmann UK (American page) website is a mess and very misleading. There are no O-gauge locos listed, although there are some O-scale narrow gauge. The headings (in blue print) bear no resemblance to what follows them. The Plymouth diesels listed under the O Scale heading are actually N-scale.
It's been pointed out to Bachmann before but they don't seem interested in rectifying things.
John.
Add pictures here
✖
"John Ruddy" wrote

Don't know how true this is but I was told today that the development costs of the O-gauge 'Hymek' was 'only' around GBP80K and that Heljan need to shift around 400 to break even.
If that is the case I think they're being terribly silly and in effect pricing the loco out what could be a mass sale market and a real boost to 7mm scale modelling. I'd have said at around. GBP300 they'd sell maybe four times the number they will at the projected price.
John.
Add pictures here
✖
If Heljan really wanted to get into a "mass sale market" why have they gone for a prototype with a geographic restriction (ie the old Western Region) rather than something with a wider prototypical applicability. Disregarding shunters, why not (for example) either Class 24, 25, 31 or 47, or even Class 40, 45 or 46?
David Costigan

Hymek?
at
costs
four
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:15:55 +0100, "David Costigan"

Using a loco they already researched reduces the extra investment, expect a 47 next if this is successful. Keith
Add pictures here
✖

gone
Disregarding
Class
I hope they get the width right this time!
:-) Mick
Add pictures here
✖

One of Heljan's biggest retail outlets is Antics which is based in the west country, hence the western region bias.
(kim)
Add pictures here
✖

There is no connection between railway models and mass sale markets of any kind.
Model railways are an extremely complex and poorly served niche market.
A mass sale market is when you buy in 200,000 teddy bears from China at 24p each delivered, pay 10p each for a snazzy bag, then pile 'em high in department stores and flog them out at £3.99 each. All gone in two days, phone call to China, get me 250,000 more right now, must be here before Xmas. That's a mass sale market, and no research, development, or marketing costs of any kind. And no-one writing reviews about how the teddy bear doesn't exactly replicate the prototype and the makers should be treated like scum.
If I was a department store buyer, I know what I'll be filling my shelves with this coming Xmas.
Cheers, Santa
Add pictures here
✖
"Steve W" wrote

Of course strictly speaking you're right, but at the end of the day it's all relative.
Why aim for a loco with extremely limited geographical appeal, when one with almost universal appeal has similarly been researched and also produced in 4mm scale?
John.
Add pictures here
✖

gone
Disregarding
Class
Hi David.
As I recall they were remarkably well travelled and somewhere I have a load of pictures of them around Fareham. In fact when the club gets its new premises we will be looking to start an O Gauge project and one of these could well be on my cards...
The other thing about them is that as a "quirk" the western region hydraulics seem to have a sort of cult following; another reason why I will consider buying one (but then again I have a real soft spot for lost causes).
BTW, will you be coming to our exhibition on the 1st & 2nd of October? May have some news about our new premises.
Elliott
(Yes folks, The Druid is sort of back again)
Add pictures here
✖
Hi Elliot,
whats the news on the new club room?
Paul Stevenson

Region)
load
will
May
Add pictures here
✖
✖

Why not look a little further afield - such as the Victory Hall in Warsash?
--
Colin

Add pictures here
✖
Colin Reeves wrote:

Henry Cort sports hall? (its BIG). 10th Fareham Scout HQ? (little smaller than community hall).
Niel.
Add pictures here
✖