New O-gauge set purchase

Hello,

Just about sold on a Union Pacific Diesel Freight 6-30051 by Lionel with TMCC and 50"x90" layout. Does anyone have any insight on what I, or I should say my young son, should expect from this set in terms of satisfaction, upgradeability?

They say the package is a great deal but I notice I am getting quite a large turn radius, which in the long run I hope to cut down by purchasing tighter turn track.

The minimum curve is O-31, but I wonder if the locomotive is fairly up- to-date.

Thanks,

Reply to
scgtking

"scgtking" wrote

Not unless you're planning on pulling a train up a grade.

Those numbers refer to the wheel arrangements of steam -not diesel- locomotives, with the first number being the number of pilot wheels, the second referring to the number of drivers, and the third indicating the number of wheels on the trailing truck.

Thus a 2-8-2 has a two-wheeled pilot truck, eight driving wheels, and a two-wheeled trailing truck.

Easy!

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

I'm not sure what your terms mean. Satisfaction, upgradability? It's a relatively high-quality set so you should be satisfied. Upgradable to what? Most all Lionel products are compatible - just be sure you select the right gauge since they make G scale and S scale stuff also. Items vary in price and quality, but even the low end stuff is fun and will last if cared for.

If you've researched the set you probably know that taking advantage of TMCC requires extra equipment. Do more research before you go that route, and be sure to check out MTH's DCS system which offers a component to use Lionel's TMCC functions. If you get into trains you will almost certainly be seduced by some of MTH's products, so you should give some thought to making sure the systems are compatible.

If the minimum turn is listed as O-31 then you should have no problems. But depending on your son's age, be sure he knows that a tighter turn means the train can jump the tracks at a lower speed.

Also, since it is a smoking diesel, be sure your son understands how the smoke works and that running the loco without fluid can damage the smoke unit. There is a switch to turn the smoke unit off if you want to run without smoke.

Reply to
Spender

Before you spend too much money, you should consider whether you want true O gauge or the more "traditional" size. The Lionel Lionmaster units tend to be a bit smaller than the 1:48 of O gauge. The reduced size is more compatible with the sizes of the older Lionel units. It will go around curves with a smaller diameter. Note: O31, etc, refers to diameter, not the radius used in other scales.

A quick check of the Lionel web site only showed the Lionmaster SD90's as parts of sets. I do note that the full scale SD70 variants are around 17 inches in length.

You should also be aware that Lionel is just bringing out the TMCC Legacy control system. It's backward compatible with TMCC, but if you end up getting really involved, the TMCC equipment you get with the set will have a fairly short future unless you want to stick with TMCC.

You might want to check with folks in a train store where they have quite a bit of O gauge and talk it over with them.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you decide to get. And-do as you mentioned and read up on TMCC. The Lionel web site also has the manual for TMCC Legacy.

Reply to
Carl Heinz