Garden "O" gauge

I'm really determined to go outside with an "O" gauge layout - about 1250 feet in the back yard. That will extend my train season to 12 months - I'm
in AZ. I understand garden O is big in Britain, but I can't find much information about it here in the States. I'm afraid to learn by error - which is my normal mode, so I'd like to hook up with some basic info about the tricks of tracks, wiring etc. Does anyone know of any sources?

I suggest you go to http://yahoogroups.co.uk and subscribe to the 7_mm_modelling group.
It's primarily about British O-gauge modelling but there are several Americans there, including a Californian who has outdoor (British) O-gauge. I believe he uses Peco track.
Note: O-gauge in Britain means 2-rail fine scale by default. You don't say whether you are 2 or 3 rail. And it is scaled at 7mm to the foot, or 1:43.5.

Getting Started in Garden Railroading - Allan W. Miller
Garden Railways magazine - Kalmbach Publishing