Vinylbed

Anybody using Vinylbed for your roadbed material? What do you think of it? I have some samples of it. Was wondering if it has to be sliced crosswise in order to curve it without kinking.

Reply to
Rick Jones

I used it on a previous HO layout. That was about 10 years ago. Assuming the material is essentially the same today, for normal curves it does not need to be sliced or otherwise altered. There is enough inherent flexibility to conform to the curve without buckling or kinking. I used Cove Base Adhesive to secure it, and Pliobond to secure the track to the roadbed.

My experience FWIW:

Pluses:

-Does provide some sound deadening

-Comes in a variety of thicknesses

Minuses:

-Does not hold spikes

-Since the roadbed is/was full width (i.e. not split as is cork), laying it straight, or in a smooth curve, was a bit more trouble that using split roadbed as it could not be aligned to a centerline. I ended up making some full width templates, with the center marked, laid out the track centerline, then used the templates to mark the outer edges and align the roadbed between those marks.

-When I was using it, there were supply problems. Ordering through my LHS, there were long waits to get orders filled, and it seemed it was out of stock much of the time. Not sure of the situation today, as I believe the line has since been sold to a new supplier.

I've since moved and will probably use cork or homasote on the next layout.

Rob/Columbus,Oh

Reply to
camroden