[SOLVED] Harrison L5 headstock oil (2023 Update)

How much oil do I fill the headstock of a Harrison L5 with?

I have a recent aquirement of a Harrison L5 Mk2 lathe, I estimate made between 1946-1947, its sat for some years and the headstock oil has slowly leaked out (there is an obvious 'drip' on the drain bolt at the back plus signs of weepage from the various shafts exiting). I obviously need to replace with fresh oil but I have *no* idea how much to put in.

I have a manual (that gives the oil spec[1]) but its for a slightly later model which is fitted with an oil-filler and the instructions are to ensure the level is right in the filler. As mine does not have this filler the instructions are useless at best (and bloody annoying at worst).

There are no sight glasses, no obvious markings, no bolts without a purpose that could be for testing the level. While there are some lines inside they appear to be just casting marks rather than for any purpose.

The level is probably the same as the later L5 models and possibly even the L5A/L6 so if anyone knows where they are filled to wrt the spindle that would be helpful.

Anyone have any clues?

Druid

[1] And it is in comparison straight forward to get a 'new' oil to replace what was specified 60 years ago.
Reply to
Druid

A bit late with the answer but I changed the oil on my L5a today and in a completely drained and dry headstock, 1 litre of oil took the level up to about 1/3 between the 'Low' and 'Full' marks on the sight gauge.

I used 75/90 synthetic gear oil simply as I had a bottle - EP stuff for differentials etc probably not a good idea as the layshafts run in bronze bearings.

Reply to
Mr B.