Greasing a Grizzly G9972Z bench lathe headstock

Here is something that seems so wrong...

This is a CQ6128Ax660 from the Yangzhou Supermachine Tool Company. The
manual is hideous and poorly illustrated.
The lube instructions ask for the infamous 2# tube grease to be applied
to the oil bails on the headstock.
"Grease into oil bail on headstock".
The oil bails are just that, they fit flush with the surface and they
have a spring loaded ball sealing off the passage. One of the balls has
already fallen into the headstock [Grizzly says that's not a problem".
Now when I was growing up, one applied grease through a zerk. Can anyone
tell me how an oil bail is supposed to work with a grease gun? Is there
any nozzle that will maintain enough of a seal?
Or has the Yangzhou Supermachine Tool Company screwed up with oil bails?
Anyone use oil on the headstock?
Reply to
Louis Ohland
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons
Just got off the phone with Grizzly, we went through the manual together. He had the edited version where it said to oil the headstock.
Makes me feel like I won when I got my Sieg X3, the manual and workmanship are head and shoulders above this.
Ned Simm>
Reply to
Louis Ohland
Do you have trouble oiling the zerk on the base that's mostly under the vertical way? grrr. That's my current big gripe with the X3.
Have you broken the belt yet? Hint: if you use a fly cutter, don't try large diameter cuts on hardish steel (some kind of hand-forged mystery metal did mine in). I don't think anyone in the US sales a replacement = belt except Grizzley. Of course there's is a warranty, but I dunno if it = applies to belts... yet.
Elton
Reply to
Elton
Mmm, zerk or oil bail? My X3 has all oil bails. OK, part 76 in the manual. My dad got a oil bottle with a pin tip with the lathe. Works well with oil bails. I've not oiled my X3 yet.
Elt> Do you have trouble oiling the zerk on the base that's mostly under the
Belt is still in one piece. I've been looking at getting a boring head [R8 integral shank, of course].
Reply to
Louis Ohland
Oil bail. I'd never heard the name before and since they look like zerks that have been hit with a big hammer I've never made the distinction. =20
I bought a 2" boring head but haven't used it so I don't have an opinion yet.
I'm trying to decide between buying a face mill and a shell end mill. I can't afford both. They'll both do facing but the end mill will also do side milling, but I'll have to buy an arbor for the end mill which will make it as expensive as a face mill, initially. But a face mill will require inserts (at over $20 a set), but I can re-sharpen the end mill (I say with more confidence than I actually feel) and save money in the long run, but a face mill using a variety of inserts can cut a wider range of materials... [sigh]
Elton
Reply to
Elton