various benchtop mill & lathe questions - Grizzly G0619 and G9972Z

I am planning on buying a benchtop mill and lathe (two separate
machines, not one of the combo things). Right now I am looking at the
Grizzly G0619 mill
the G9972Z lathe.

I've looked at the various mini-machine companies online and cannot see
any compelling reasons to go with any other, except that some of the
others are better-prepared for CNC conversion, but that conversion is a
way off for me if it ever happens. I already know that the Grizzlys need
to be torn down, cleaned, bearings checked and regreased with good lube,
but I'm willing to do that.
These will be for hobby use, and I don't have any particularly large
parts planned. The materials I expect to cut are 4130 steel, T6 aluminum
and mild steel, or softer metals like copper/bronze/brass, or plastic or
wood--I don't foresee using much stainless or Ti.
I already know that I can get used full-size machines for the same
prices (often even less money) but I have nowhere to put them--I have no
drive-in garage to put them in. I will need to set these things up in a
room inside my house, so eight-foot-tall 3500-lb machines simply won't
work for me, even if the machines and transportation were free.
------
1) I haven't played with any machine tools in the 20+ years since I was
in high school. A /lot/ of this stuff still looks familiar, but not all
of it. What is a good book(s) to buy that covers the basics of different
operations of lathes and milling machines? (one book each, I'm assuming,
unless there's one really good book that covers both)
2) One of the mill accessories I'd planned on getting was the 6" rotary
table, and I want to be able to mount a 4-jaw chuck on it. There doesn't
seem to be any part available at Grizzly to do that directly. Other
places I've read online just say to get a plain-back chuck and drill the
four holes through it for mounting, between the jaws. Is this basically
how it is done with these small mills? (I know the lathe comes with a
4-jaw also, but I don't want to have to take it on and off for both)
3) Grizzly sells the rotary table, indexing plates and rotary tailstock
separately and also together as a kit. Separately they cost $420, while
the kit costs $265 at the moment. Are these the same pieces??? The
photos show that the two tailstocks are different, but the photos may
not be totally accurate....
4) I see that places sell adjustable reamers. I never heard of these
when I was in high-school shop class (or perhaps just wasn't paying that
much attention). Are these worth buying over the regular chucking
reamers, or are they more trouble than they're worth? I had planned on
buying a set of typical English reamers, as well as an .001" over/under
set. I don't expect these machines to do better than .001 accuracy
anyway, but I wonder if the adjustable reamers would end up being more
hassle than they're worth.
5) I've got a few coolant questions--the big machines I used way back in
high school didn't run coolant for the big mills and short cuts we used
them for.
---5A) Grizzly sells a water-based cutting fluid. For the metals I would
cut (4130, mild steel,aluminum or softer stuff) will there be any
problems with using the water-based fluid? Other places mention using
petroleum-based fluid for other (harder?) metals, but I don't know how
practical that is in an indoor room with not great ventilation. Also I
don't know if the same coolant pumps could take the petroleum stuff...?
---5B) The instructions for the coolant tank that Grizzly sells mention
coolant toxicity and proper disposal. Uhhh,,, how toxic is this stuff,
and how do you dispose of it?
---5C) I had assumed that I would run coolant on both the mill and
lathe, but figured there would be some cheaper pump I could buy (for a
lot less than $150) that would just circulate coolant out of a bucket
under the tool bench. I've looked around at a few sites that sell
accessories for the benchtop machines and so far I haven't seen anything
like that however. Does anyone make such a thing, or is there some
cheaper pump that can be adapted to this use?
---5D) For coolant, Grizzly sells water-soluble "cutting fluid" and
"lathe bed fluid". Both have some-amount-of-oil in them, but the second
apparently has more in it. Assuming I use the same stuff for both,
should I just use the lathe bed fluid? If I do spend $150 for the
Grizzly coolant tank/pump, I'd only get one tank/pump, and switch it
between whatever machine I was using.
---5E) The G9972Z lathe comes with a chip tray....
the chip tray also serve as a coolant tray? I'd planned on using
another slightly-larger tray underneath both machines anyway, but being
able to skip that bother for the lathe /would/ be nice. the bottom tray
in the photos looks deep enough, but Ive never seen one in person and
the nearest Grizzly store is ~250 miles away.
6) I planned on buying a mechanical dial protractor to set angles. Do I
really need a sine bar setup as well? (I'm rather surprised that nobody
seems to make a better/more accurate "dial protractor" or "micrometer
protractor", it would seem to be a fairly simple thing to do, and FAR
more convenient than stacking sine spacers, but then I don't know hardly
squat about all this...)
7) Lastly for now,,,, tramming. I've seen the radius things that swing a
dial indicator, but haven't seen the mounting arm for sale anywhere. The
ones I've seen appear different than the dial indicator holders I've
found so far.... Also I have found the Nano-Tram things at eztram.com
and it looks like a convenient way of doing things, but don't know if
they would fit on the Grizzly or not. The Grizzly specs don't make
reference to any spindle threads... is the Nano-Tram for some other
machine? And is there anything similar for the Grizzly G0619?
TIA for any answers or other advice.
~
Reply to
DougC
I have an Enco mill Drill and am happy with it. As far as the lathe geoes I sold my China made lathe and was happy to see it go. I bought a standard-modern-lathe and am real happy with it but of course it cost more. China stuff falls apart and makes some wierd cuts.
Reply to
<akimmel