Welding 6061 weakens it?

Lined up a welder to weld a small bit onto a bike frame right at the 1/4 inch plate where the rear wheel attaches to the frame.

Once welded, does this weaken the frame at this point? I presume that this point of the frame is hardened. No?

Is this idea an Entirely Bad one?

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC
6061 is an age hardening aluminum. The original frame will (should) be T6 temper (31 kpsi yield), welding it will heat up the HAZ and reduce the strength to T-0 (8 kpsi yield), this will crawl back up to around T-4 temper (13 kpsi yield)just by letting it sit for a month or two. It will never get up to the original T-6 temper without solution treating it.

I h> Lined up a welder to weld a small bit onto a bike frame right at the 1/4 inch

Reply to
RoyJ