Mk2a and Mk2s Coaches - What is the difference?

I know very little about coaches but would like a rake of Bachmann's Mk2 coaches when they arrive.

Can anybody tell me what the difference is between Mk2a and Mk2s coaches?

Also is there anywhere I can find out about proto-typical rake formations for Mk2 coaches?

Many thanks,

Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel Pearson

Nigel Harris's work on the subject (which is as good as Keith Parkin on Mk1s). Mk2 coaches development from prototypes, then A to F. It is important that you research the subject as it is complex. Interesting but not daunting

Reply to
titans

Best read up on them! Very rough guide with errors here:

1960's - Mk2a - Basically updated Mk1 coaches with W/C's at one end. Mk2b - Updated again, with W/C's & doors at each end Mk2c - Same as above, with pressure ventilation - originally were to be fitted with aircon. 1970's Mk2d-f Fitted with aircon, and window vents removed.

The Mk2a's had vacuum brakes & steam heat originally, I "think" that the Mk2b onwards are air brake & ETH heated.

There are some notes on rake formations in Model Rail this month as Titan says.

Alan

Reply to
Gyle TMD

Think the cause of this thread is Bachmann listing a Mk2a and Mk2s !!!!

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

I presume that Bachmann's reference to "Mk2s" is the plural of Mk2! Mk2a coaches had a redesigned gangway connection incorporating GRP folding doors, similar to those seen on Mk2b onwards, but with the GRP in a bright green. This green colour was sometimes also painted on the bogies' primary springs. The earlier Mk2 coaches had a single sliding door across the gangway connection.

I think that the origianl Mk2 coaches were vacuum-braked when introduced, while Mk2a stock were air-braked from new.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Ta for info!

Of course I forgot, the XP64 was a Mk2 design as well iirc?

I'm sure I have some photos of the apple green liveried Mk2a's in the Highlands with vacuum brakes and ETH fittings.

Alan

Reply to
Gyle TMD

Mk2 - originally vacuum brakes and dual heating. Mk2a - air brakes, electric heating, and a new compartment design for First Class vehicles.

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

The XP64 was actually a Mark 1 design in terms of its construction - although it incorporated many Mk2 features and fittings, especially inside. Like Mk1s, it had a separate underframe and body - the Mk2 is of integral construction.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Osborne

No, the XP64 were Mk1 modified to test some features for the future Mk2s, interior fittings and wide folding doors. The doors were not a success and were not fitted to Mk2s.

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

They were not 'updated Mark1s, the Mark 2 represented a fundamental change from a seperate underframe with a body built on it to an integral construction with no underframe as such. It is, however, true that the internal layout and fittings were very similar between a late Mk1 and an early Mk2. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Mk2's are a nightmare!

I should have bought the book after all..........

Alan

Reply to
Gyle TMD

In article , Mike Parkes writes

I believe that Mk2s is not a plural but refers to the prototype coaches that predate the Mk2a.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Hammond

Mk 2 are mainly Vac braked and have Mk 1 style doors on gangways - AB were converted Mk 2a all built Air braked and have folding doors

I want a nice Mk2e TSO - it is a pig converting the Airfix 2D

Reply to
Xbase

Buy the Mk2 coach book, well worth it. The drawings are very good.

The original Mk2s are usually referred to as Mk2z, then Mk2a - f. If you want to see some in service, come to the Mid-Norfolk Railway where we have Mk2z, Mk2a and Mk2c then you can head down the line to Norwich to see Mk2e and f in service with Anglia.

Our Mk2C TSO has the original interior, although a bit of it has been removed for the bar. The Mk2a coaches are first class corridors, they were built as air braked but converted to vac braked using gear from vac braked Mk1 full brakes they cut up.

East Lancs also has a load of Mk2s.If you fancy buying a real one, expect to pay between £2000 and £15000 depending on type and condition.

I hope Bachmann get this model right, I for one will be buying plenty of them. There is absolutely no excuse not to make a decent job of it. Let's hope they bother to put an interior in them too!

James

Reply to
James S

We have a ship load of them here in New Zealand! Add 3'6" gauge bogies and they'll even run on our tracks!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

2D FOs converted to TSOs I believe? They are sleeper coaches arnt they? Got any pics?

James

Reply to
James S