Branchline coaches vs. Bachmann coaches

Compared to Branchline HO coaches, how well detailed are Bachmann HO
coaches? I've never seen the Bachmann passenger cars and have the
opportunity to get several for about what the IHC cars sell for. My main
concern is that they don't stand out like sore thumbs if in the same consist
as Branchline cars and don't cause operational problems.
TIA
Reply to
Rashputin
The slack in the Bachmann couplers is excessive. The couplers sorta' hang down and are mounted in a lever driven thingee that rotates the coupler as the truck turns. The cars seem a little small, but I don't have a completed Branchline to compare. Gut feeling is that the Branchline is the way to go..
Reply to
user
The main and biggest difference in the two are the under-body details. Branchline is way up there, Bachmann is very basic and not even any piping. I find I have to trim off s bit of the centersill of the Branchline to allow the trucks to turn on my 28" plus radii, where Bachmann has no centersill at all. I don't like Branchline's couplers and will in the future change them to Kadees. Branchline coaches are about 1/2" longer, and the paint is slightly glossier, but not terribly so. The window panes of the Branchline appear to be closer to the frame, and not set back like on the Bachmann. The cars would not look out of place in the same consist, in my opinion, if the under body of the Bachmann was bought up to Branchline's standard. The couplers on the Branchline are attached to the body, which might be tough on sharp curves, I haven't tried that, but the Bachmann's swivel in line with the trucks so sharper curves are possible. If you like detail, the Branchline is the way to go, but Bachmann is already to run, Branchline takes a while to assemble, but this gives you plenty of flexibility. I like them both, but if I had to make one choice, I would opt for Branchline due to the closer realism it portrays. On my Branchline, I have weathered the underbody to show the details better, and it really does make a difference. T> Compared to Branchline HO coaches, how well detailed are Bachmann HO
Reply to
adm.nelson
Thanks a lot. That's exactly the kind of thing I needed to know. I guess the Bachmann in consists that run through from hidden storage and back to hidden storage without stops would be about all I could use the Bacbmann for given you info. The bit about trimming the Branchline for 28" is good to know as well as it lets me plan the inner track of a dual main for 30" rather than the 28" I had in mind. I've been away from the hobby for a good long time and also now have severe arthritis in my hands, so avoiding the trimming is worth the difference in the layout at this point. Knowing that now let's me avoid a lot of hassle, so thanks for that in particular.
Regards
Reply to
Rashputin
For a good comparsion you might want to go to this site and check out the differences.

Jon Miller
Thanks! Looks like I'll definitely be excluding Rivarossi coaches. Thanks for the link.
Regards
Reply to
Rashputin
Gotta admit, this post breaks all the usenet rules. Informative, non-judgemental, knowledgable, helpful, and all the good things we come to usenet hoping to find. Great post, Tony.
Reply to
3D
Anythng I can do to help. Glad to be of 'some' service :-) T> >
Reply to
adm.nelson