I'm going to look at a Clausing 5914 being sold by a welding shop that is closing at yearend, and I'm looking for a list of issues to be aware of. The seller is an electrician and makes no claim to be a machinist, and isn't able to answer my questions.
What I do know: 13" by 40", 208 volts 3 phase, motor HP unknown. Lots of accessories are included, but the seller does not know their names or functions.
I also have some more general questions.
- Does or can the 5914 come with a camlock spindle? (The seller said it was both camlock and threaded; he may have been thinking of the 5C collets showing in the photo.) Or did people adapt threaded spindles somehow? If yes, how well does it work?
- It is claimed that this 5914 is varispeed. Is this possible? I suppose someone could have modified the machine.
- How well does the varispeed work, and what are its failure modes?
- I think that the machine is under power, so I'll be able to listen to bearings. What else should I look for in the headstock?
- I'll look at the ways for wear. The claim is that condition is good, but who knows what that means.
- What is the footprint and weight of this machine?
- What things usually break?
- What have I missed?