LeBlond Regal 13" Spindle Threading

I need the spindle threading for a LeBlond Regal 13". Serial number if that matters is B4854. I am replacing the conventional threaded chuck mounting with a camlock system if it is possible.

Thanks Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Bob, I'm confused. If you are replacing a threaded chuck mounting, you probably have a threaded spindle. Why don't you count the threads and measure the diameter? Please correct my misunderstanding. I have an older LeBlond Regal 13" and would be glad to give you whatever specs you need.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

spindle threading for a LeBlond Regal 13". =A0Serial number

We need to keep the lathe downtime to a minimun. And the chuck is stuck on real good. So if we have the threaded data we can be ready with the camlock adapter when we break the chuck off.

I can usually loosen a chuck but this one has resisted the efforts of two of us. It has been in place for at least 50 or more years. We are thinking heat since a sledge would probably break a gear tooth.

So I need the thread data to get a camlock adapter.

Thanks for the response Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

spindle threading for a LeBlond Regal 13". ?Serial number

Seems an unnecessary complication with the drawback of greater overhang from the spindle bearings. Have you tried a 24" crescent? BTW, your lathe was made in 1942. Tom

Reply to
Tom

I believe you have a L00 see

I have a pdf "Running a regal" that I can send you. Looks 1951 or so.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

We need to keep the lathe downtime to a minimun. And the chuck is stuck on real good. So if we have the threaded data we can be ready with the camlock adapter when we break the chuck off.

I can usually loosen a chuck but this one has resisted the efforts of two of us. It has been in place for at least 50 or more years. We are thinking heat since a sledge would probably break a gear tooth.

So I need the thread data to get a camlock adapter.

Thanks for the response Bob AZ

Bob, measured my spindle this morning. Diameter = 2-1/8". 5 threads per inch. Seems oddball. Interestingly my manual specifies a LOO-2-3/4" spindle nose. My model is a

13" B3447.

Bob, what RPM are you running? I am really unhappy with the 500 max rpm on my machine. Thinking of a VFD. Right now it is powered by a 1HP 3 phase motor. I have utility supplied 3 phase in my shop.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Check the date of your manual. your machine was made in 1940, LeBlond went to the tapered mounts after the war.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Thanks for the 'heads up' Tom!! The date of my manual is 1951. It's what LeBlond (forget the name of their successor) sent me. Charged me $ 80 for a poor Xerox copy!! BTW, wanted to buy a thread dial from them, but, at $ 850 I resisted.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I looked the the drawing for the L00 mount and mine is nowhere the same. So I must have the threaded mount. So off to locate a 2-1/8 - 5 TPI Camlock mount if there is one. Take care Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

If it *is* an L-00 mount, then there should be a ring around the spindle behind the chuck which screws onto a thread on the back of the chuck and holds it firmly onto the spindle. To unscrew it, you need a pin hook spanner to turn the ring -- or maybe a plain hook spanner, depending on your lathe. My Clausing wants a hook spanner with a 1/4" pin to undo it. And screw it Clockwise as viewed from the tailstock end. The chuck will be keyed, so it won't turn either direction until you back off that ring.

Hmm 2-1/8"x5? Interesting. My original Clausing spindle was a

2-1/4"x8. And the L-00 locking ring is quite a bit larger (says he who is too tired after fighting taxes to go downstairs and actually *measure* that thread.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'm confused. You have been using a screw on chuck, now you want to mount an adaptor that requires removing the chuck. Is the old chuck bad?

Jogging the chuck in reverse using a hardwood block between jaws and bed will likely break it loose. You can work your way up on how hard you jog and distribute the impact across all three jaws (and various gear teeth).

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Hey Wes! Thant's pretty clever (jogging with wooden block). I don't think I would have thought of that method.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I don't know if it is clever. I read an old book once on running a lathe and that is the method that was advised.

I watched the crew at my last job bouncing a cheapy enco lathe around trying to get a chuck off that some idiot threaded on under power and tried the block after the day crew left for the night.

Worked fine for me.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

That's why the tool board next to my 9" SB "A" carries a 2 x 3 x4" block of maple. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I am doing the tax thing this week also. Have to do 3 returns each year. Long story.

I did look for a Camlock adapter that is 2-1/8X5 with no luck. I will get one that is big enough so I can do a threaded adapter and then mount the camlock. No big problem.

Take care Bob AZ =EF=BF=BD

Reply to
Bob AZ