lathe cherry tool?

hey... I need to cut a cone shaped hole about an inch into the end of a brass rod about 1/2 dia.. I figure I need to get a blank flat bar and grind it
down to the size of the cone I need. I know what I need but I can't come up with a name to find one : )
My question: What would be the correct name of a blank cutter with a round rod (for chucking) attached.
There ARE countersink tools that would maybe work in brass. Just center-drill it, then sort of rough-shape it with two or three drills of various dimensions to stepped depths, and then run the countersink in. There are also other tapers available, deburriong tools, etc.
I have done just the countersink patiently in 1/4" brass, with splendid result.
Flash

LLBrown wrote:

I've done this with a D-bit. Take a bit of silver steel rod with a diameter at least as big as the top of the hole, put it in the lathe and cut the end to required taper. Remove from the lathe and cut almost half of the cone away, to end up with something like the top diagram of this...
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m266/lemel_man/ConeDbit.gif Use a mill, or saw and file to do this - its important that the part of the cone that's left is very slightly more than half. Harden and temper the business end and you've got a conical D-bit. You use it as follows... First rough out the tapered hole with a series of drills as in the bottom picture, then true it up with the D-bit.
--
Regards, Gary Wooding
LLBrown wrote:

Is there a reason you can't set the compound to the needed angle and use a boring bar?
--

Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space