Chips in the chuck

The scroll and jaws of the 3-jaw lathe chuck tend to get jammed with chips and require a rather tedious cleaning every few hours of use. Is there some trick to keeping the chips out?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Compressed air .

Reply to
Snag

Richard J Kinch wrote in news:Xns99F9AE62F3499someconundrum@216.196.97.131:

A cover plate for the hole, if the stock is short. A plastic collar if the stock goes thru the spindle are about the only options, unless you can put purge air on the chuck.

Reply to
Anthony

Aaak!

Isn't the compressed air likely to drive the swarf deeper into places where you don't want it?

Reply to
Kelly Jones

If that be the case, perhaps someone can explain to me why my 8" 3 jaw, put in service in '67 on my Sag 12 Graziano, and used on a commercial basis for

16 years, is still functional quite well, thanks, having been dismantled only a couple times for cleaning in all that time.

The use of air in the hands of someone that isn't a moron is one of the finest of methods to keep chips away from where they are not desired.

The negative attitude of the use of air on machine tools is much like the false value placed on Bridgeport mills (I own one, and have purchased two in my years, so I'm entitled to have my opinion). Pretty much just a housewife's tale, assuming care is taken for application.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

For some chucks, you can buy some neoprene-pieces that fit into the chuck's slots for the jaws. Simple punched pieces about 3mm thick. You always can make your own.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Used with due care , it is the best method I've found . I also almost always cut dry , drilling being the exception . Coolant introduces another whole level to clearing swarf ...

Reply to
Snag

Coolant can serve to peform the chore as well----depending on circumstances. A clean flood works amazingly well.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Maybe when I have more room . A guy can only do so much in an 8X12 shed out in the back yard ...

Reply to
Snag

snip----

Any danger of freezing?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Yup , I only heat while I'm out there . My wife must have some Scottish ancestors , she's frugal ... make that VERY frugal . I do keep a hundred watt light bulb burning 24/7 , helps with the humidity but it won't keep it above freezing .

Reply to
Snag

In my barn shop, I thin the coolant with anti freeze. Just the used stuff from the cars. Works fine. 1:4 ratio gives about 0 freezepoint. That's coldest my shop gets.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend