How do you use anti-backlash rings?

How are you supposed to use these tools?

Stupendous Man

tools?

Well, for $300 I wouldn't use them.(I'd make my own from scrap one at a time only as needed, the chances of needing all 48 in a lifetime seems slim) But as the description sort of implies, "SOFT JAW ANTI- BACKLASH RING SET" they are used to pre-load the scroll and chuck body when machining soft jaws on a lathe chuck. They would work best when machining a step in the jaws, the ring is placed as far towards the head stock as possible, the chuck tightened and then the accessible portion of the jaws machined to run true (and probably fit a specific work piece)

Jay

Reply to
Bob's my cat

Fit soft jaws to your chuck. Adjust until close to the diameter to be bored to suit job. Pick the ring closest to the current internal diameter at the rear of the jaws. Clamp the jaws down on the ring. Bore jaws to suit job. Remove ring. Clamp jaws on the job. Turn! I leave it to you to determine how to add an additional procedure if the job diameter needs to pass through the chuck jaws.

Reply to
Richard Edwards

tools?

Putting a ring in the back of the jaws and boring the front will not be accurate as it does not take the front to back play out the jaws. Better to put three pins in the c`bore of the holding screws and grip the ring inside these for internal boring.You then bore the jaws through the hole in the ring. That particular set is not much use as the centre hole is too small.There are people who sell the proper sets though for about $300,or you can buy a tool which has three pins on a scroll so adjusts to what ever size you need within its range.

Reply to
mark

tools?

Here`s a link to one of the tools I was talking about.

mark

Cool tool! That how I thought they were used, usless for what I want. The hard jaws of the universal chuck for the Graziano lathe had been re-bored by a former employee (who didn't know that the chuck could be adjusted) and is off by .0015 . Clamp long ground rod in it and it wobbles unevenly, one way at the chuck and the other further out. I would like to straighten it out, and dont have access to a decent tool post grinder. Clamping some 1/4 inch aluminum bars between the angles on the jaws and boring didn't improve it.

Any tips would be appreciated. This is a low buck, small production shop.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

They are for boring soft jaws. I usually see them in CNC apps where the chuck is hydraulic. How well do they work out on scroll chucks?

Wes

Reply to
Wes