Backlash Adjustment Tool for SHARP vertical MILL

Boys, I need a little help. I've got a Sharp vertical mill that needs an 85 buck backlash adjustment tool to take the slop out of the table. The crappy image in the manual shows what looks similar to hollow flashlight. I can't get to the adjustment rings or I'd just measure and make the damn thing. If anyone has one, or any info, let me know.

Reply to
Papa

I've never seen a sharp so pardon me if this does not help. Do you have what looks to be a screw surrounded by a hollow set screw that has two slots opposite that locks the inner adjusting screw?

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

We had a First mill that used the same style tool, We contacted the dealer we bought the mill off of and we asked to borrowed it, they mailed it to us, we used it and then sent it back. So if you ask nicely maybe they a dealer will loan you one :-)

Reply to
James P Crombie

Yep, the First and the Sharp are the same mill I think, same steel, different name. Anyway, I bought mine used and I had no luck contacting the seller. From your memory, could the tool be fabricated fairly easily without a drawing? Kind of a use my mill to fix my mill thing, ya know. The lock rings are almost 12 inches inside the table making it hard to get measurments.

Reply to
Papa

The locking rings are almost 12 inches inside the table with a spanner type fitting. There are no set screws.

Reply to
Papa

Papa wrote in news:h7pim25hjc6nmg0j1plp7315hib4sjmn6k@

4ax.com:

I don't have one, but the older Alliant mills were made by Sharp, so if you can locate someone with one of those you'll be in business.

The other option would be to find a piece of thick wall tubing or pipe about the right size, then make a "worm" out of plumbers putty and put it on the end face in a ring. Spritz the nut with some oil to keep the putty from sticking and then gingerly slide the tube down the screw and make a light impression in the putty. Pull it out and measure. Assume it will be made to standard "round" dimensions. Probably metric.

Then drill and ream the two holes and install pins. For what it is and the amount of use it will get you can probably just drill and use roll pins.

Reply to
D Murphy