Hardinge TM backlash adjustment procedure?

Gentlemen,

Can anyone offer a procedure for adjusting the table anti-backlash nuts on a Hardinge TM?

Thanks,

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

The bronze nut sets for the Hardinge mill The "X"&"Y" are 2 sets of nuts .... "X" nut is a two piece R.H.ACME thread..one part of the nut is set in the cast iron nut housing dimpled with a 3/16 drill then locked in position by a dog point set set screw ...then the second part of the nut (backlash adjusting)is screw into the nut housing then the table lead screw is screwed into the two bronze nuts you finish assembling the machine...(The "Y" nut is L.H. and it is installed the same way as the "X" axis.) Once that is done..you adjust the backlash part of the nut out to eliminate the excess backlash in the lead screw.. The lead screws are harden ..with the most wear area in the middle section of travel.. so I adjust the backlash nut tighter on the end section of the lead screw travel then give a finial adjustment later on, once things take a set... This is a very simple repair to perform...and just about taken all the slop out of the lead screw / dial. If you are interested you can contact me... Regards, Robbie I copied and pasted this from the Hardinge TM yahoo group. I hope it helps. It really is a simple adjust, at least for the X axis.

Reply to
Tom Wait

Reply to
wayne mak

Tom Wait wrote: "X" nut is a two piece R.H.ACME

Thanks, Tom. It was this description on the Yahoo group that caused me to ask the question. My 1947 model isn't like that, and I didn't want to take a chance of screwing it up. I went ahead and did it; simple: back off the (RH) locking ring, snug up the brass insert for the best compromise, and tighten the locking ring.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

I think you will be happy. The folks here and on the Yahoo Hardinge Mill group have been invaluable in getting mine running.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Ive got the maint and parts manual. If I remember..Ill scan it and post it.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

replying to Tom Wait, Garth wrote: Hey buddy can you call me at 203-444-6477 I would really appreciate your help on helping me take the slop out in my Hardinge TM mill

Reply to
Garth