Lima OO scale

That sounds suspiciously like the "let's blame the Chinese and Indians" argument - i.e. we don't pollute, we don't have the factories etc, yet demand the demand the cheapest possible goods from somewhere else. The Swiss are just as guilty of causing global pollution as the Chinese despite not being into heavy industry, since they buy goods from China. If I offered an range of "environmently sound" parts at twice the price no one would buy them, even the do-gooders.

*Everyone*, whether they care to admit it or not, does "do as I say, not as I do".

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

}{R} wrote: }> }> In uk.rec.models.rail on Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:29:33 +1200, Greg Procter }> wrote: }> }> }We're certainly pumping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere much faster }> }than the earth can absorb it - that's scientific fact measureable from }> }ice cores. }> }> Methane is a considerably more important than CO2, just because they cannot }> measure it or in otherwise screw up does not fact make. }> }> 26% of global greenhouse gasses are caused by cows farting. } }That would leave 74% from manufacturing, transport, lighting, heating

Possibly but trees and green stuff needs to take up carbon dioxide and emits oxygen.

People convert Oxygen to CO2

}Here in NZ we have a high proportion of farting cows, but on the plus }side the cows are producing either dairy or meat products which get }eaten by the consumers of the other 74%. }- if we cut cow fart polution you don't eat. }- If you turn off the lights you don't need, travel by more efficient }means (and/or reduce travel) and reduce "throw-away" production we won't }have to suffer the problems caused by your polution.

Don't worry you are doing your share, we have just been doing it longer :)

How little is to do with manufacturing etc is still up for debate :)

{R}

Reply to
{R}

Here in NZ we're being blamed for cows farting - our cows mostly fart for export markets, just as China's factories belch polution for Britain, Europe, the US etc.

Reply to
Greg Procter

But by that reasoning then its not safe to go out cos someone has been run over a bus, eaton by a lion, shot, met gordon Brown, hit by lightning etc and lots of etcs.

But 99.99999% of scientists dont know enough about the subject. More important than numbers are the quality of the arguments put forward. Of course everyone only really listents to the bit they want to hear so are very unlikely to be converted to the other side !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

But you need more than half a million years of accurate data to determine what is the long term trend in temperatures.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I agree, it's not safe! OTOH we take many of the necessary precautions, such as not standing in the bus lane with our backs to the traffic flow.

I can see that happening right now. ;-) I still think I'll avoid standing in the bus lane with my back to the oncoming traffic flow even though there's no bus timetabled until the morning.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Not at all, I only need to know what's going to happen in the forseeable future.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Cant see any basis for comparison between chance of a bus and global warming. Are you thinking that GW will not appear when you expect it then several will appear at once ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

But you cannot say that temperature is increasing at an rate that is out of natural range unless you know what the natural range is.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Both are rumoured to be coming any minute now. Both will run you down if you don't pay heed to their approach. :-)

Absolutely!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Well, it's currently increasing at a rate that we can't find evidence of any previous event matching. The rate is pretty much proportional to the amount of carbon dioxide/man made polutants in the atmosphere. If the increase continues to increase in rate as it is presently doing then we're in serious trouble inside my lifetime. There may well be no link between carbon dioxide production and GW and GW might stop tomorrow, but the parallel over the last couple of hundred years suggests a direct link.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Simple. In England we will have double gl0bal warming while in New Zealand it will be H gl0bal warming.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , Mr. Smallweed writes

Well, all this bad weather we've been having recently mean that I can't run my garden railway as often as I'd like.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , kim writes

I thought NZ railways were modelled in Sn3, not HO

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Err, most of my collection got wet in the previous flood in March but was still damply spared from the July floods. Here in the Antipodies we're being hit by climate change very hard. Australia has had five years of drought while NZ has had much more variable weather and a near 100% increase in rainfall. The weather patterns are changing noticably - spring appears to have arrived at the begining of August instead of September/October which alters plant growth, a serious situation in a country with an economy based on agriculture. Our farmers are faced with making a major decision:- if the change is short term and temporary they should carry on doing what they have been doing (and face financial disaster), if the present change is permanent they should change farming practices to suit, or if the change will be ongoing they should change practices for the future conditions. If they get it wrong then I won't be able to buy more trains!

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

LOL

Reply to
Greg Procter

1:160 on Z track. (somebody somewhere) 1:120 on N track. (several groups/individuals producing kits) 1:87ish on HO track. (repainted Hornby, Lima ...) 1:87 on TT track. (regauged Fratischi etc) 1:87 on HO track. (Mostly Fratischi US/Brazil models factory finished in NZ livery) 1:64 on HO track, known as 3/16th. (the most common) (kits and RTR) "Nine Millimeter" (:1 foot) on 32mm gauge) (commercial support) 1:24 on G track. (assorted individuals, numbering almost into double figures)

Oh, and that would be Sn3.5', not Sn3'

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

How can you run HO models of 3' 6" gauge stuff on HO track (= 4' 8½" gauge)?

My apologies.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Personally I can't! It often happens that people start with a proprietry trainset and then later want to model New Zealand trains - a quick splash of black paint and a Triang Princess or Gresley A4 becomes an NZR Ab Pacific, a Lima open wagon becomes an Lc wagon, a Fratischi passenger coach repainted red becomes a suburban coach ... I think I lack the imagination required for that sort of 'modelling'. ;-)

Of course there's the remanufactured ex BR MkII coaches now appearing on NZ tracks!

Reply to
Greg Procter