Lima news

Statement by Lima S.p.A. (25.07.2003) to the wide-spread rumors the following is to be said: We communicate to you that Lima S.p.A. is since that 11,07,2003 into liquidazione. Three liquidators were appointed. The board of directors of Lima was dissolved and the managing director Luca Ramella has its resignation admits given. Liquidazione is called however not the final out by Lima. For the moment we must be waiting, which instructions we get from the Mr. Liquidatoren. Our business does not continue as had and it takes place (assumed like so often) Abverkauf. Orders and available commodity are still implemented and delivered.

form:

nrobinson

I guess that says it all, don't it?

Reply to
GLANVILLE CARLETON

Not necessarily.

For example:

Life might go on.

Who might find it appropriate to find a new operator.

The product of the company has continued value, and hence continued production might have value.

Reply to
Barry

"Barry" wrote concerning the apparant liquidation of the Rivarossi group.

A new operator might be found for parts of the Rivarossi group, for instance that part which produces reasonably creditable HO scale models for the USA market.

Whether any organisation might be found that could produce the UK range of OO-scale models (toys if you prefer it) to a quality standard and a price which the market would find attractive is another matter. I think the existing Lima UK product range is fatally flawed, and the costs involved in uprating to 2003 standards *might* just be too heavy for any prospective purchaser to stand.

Were I in a position to consider making a bid for Lima's UK range, my gut feeling is that it would probably be more cost effective to make a totally fresh start.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I tend to agree. When 'one' compares the final product quality level of Lima against the level of quality that the new Hornby Class 50 promises (and yes I know we haven't actually seen it yet), then every locomotive and pretty much every item of rolling stock that Lima produces for the UK market would have to be completely replaced, lock stock and barrel. In such a case there would be no point in taking on the existing tooling, as it is now effectively worthless at the quality end of the market. The only hope, AISI, for the existing tools is the low cost market, where simple quantity overrules every other consideration. It might be worth holding on to the bodies if a cheap supply of better quality chassis comes along, but the Australian outfit that are proposing such chassis are pricing them too high, I think.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

I just think it's a shame that Lima didn't keep up with the evolving market - their locos were excellent products of the 70's and 80s but just don't cut the mustard against the current Far-Eastern made supermodels.

It would be a real shame if we were to lose some of their better models, such as the class 60, 73, HST, 101 and 121 - let's hope that someone takes over the moulds - they could easily be upgraded to modern standards, or make a good bargain-baement range.

Reply to
Adam Warr

"Adam Warr" wrote

I'm not so sure Adam. The best loco in Hornby's pre-China range (in terms of scale accuracy) was the Stanier 8F, and yet when it came to retooling same their intention was to simply super-detail the existing model but the Chinese reckoned it was cheaper to start completely afresh. Thank goodness they did, the new 8F is absolutely superb.

There's little in the existing Lima range which was anywhere near as good as the original Hornby 8F, so I fail to see why you think these would be easy to upgrade. I don't see why the modern modeller should have to put up with models which are less good than the new 8F, so for my money the Lima tooling is certainly NOT a good starting point.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I have to agree with some other posters who have suggested that the only future for ex-Lima moulds would be in a low-cost range. I'm sure that if a replacement for the pancake motor could be developed, then far-east manufacturing could turn out usefull and cheap (if un-inspiring) models which would fill the various gaps in the Bachman & Hornby ranges. As I see it there are THREE markets that such a range could target :

The first is the (perhaps less demanding) buyer such as me who would like multiple examples of particular classes, but could never afford to buy Bachman and Hornby in such quantities. I'd be quite happy to start weathering and detailing a £20 loco, but I just can't bring myself to risk mutilating a £40 + Bachman or Hornby.

The second market is the collector. It seems that Lima's policy of churning out endless re-liveried versions of their locos is the only thing which has kept them afloat until now. The sheer number of livery variations on today's privatised railways means that this could continue to be a major source of sales.

Lastly, as Hornby and Bachmann move up-market with their locos, there will be no cheap way into the hobby for youngsters with limited pocket money. Also, a parent may well think "Let's buy Johnny a trainset for his birthday" only to find out that it's going to cost them £100 with no guarantee that the child will like it. The "safe bet" of a Playstation may mell seem a better proposition.

We need new people to enter the hobby. Without that, there won't be a market for Bachmann and Hornby in afew years time. One of the routes into the hobby has (until now) been the trainsets from Lima and Hornby. The Lima ones have gone and the Hornby ones are likely to become more expensive as their locos and rolling-stock are upgraded.

For the stated reasons, I sincerely hope that someone buys the Lima moulds and continues from where they left off - but with an improved chassis.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Lima already had a replacement which they put in the majority of their locomotives for other markets - the British importer wanted the cheap product.

The Lima G motor/mechanisim was ideal in that it was low cost, extremely reliable, able to withstand a lot of mistreatment and readily repairable.

I'd be surprised if anyone can point out another low price equivalent.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

time they were rescued by a group of banks so it could well happen again.

Reply to
Bernard Victor

Well Lima used the same crappy pancake motor for their Australian H0 models as they used for their British stock. A lot of serious modellers here utilise Athearn or Proto 2K running gear as replacements for Lima. I don't believe that any alternative system was suggested, even if available, as I'm certain that Australian modellers would've been prepared to pay a higher price for a central motor and drive/pickup to all twelve wheels as per US (and now Australian) manufacturers have discovered.

Regards, David W. Griffith.

Reply to
kittehawk

Some years ago, when Lima improved their European range out of all recognition, I asked them why they did not put the new motor/chassis in their UK models, and was told that it would be easy, but the British importer, Kohnstam, was not interested in updating, when he could sell existing models by just constantly changing the liveries.

Incidentally I found as a retailer that even the updated European Lima models were difficult to sell. It seems that once a product gets a bad reputation it sticks, even though they improve their product. Look at Rover cars for example.

Reply to
Bernard Victor