Old LIMA Service Sheets

Is there a site that has these available to download ? Free ?

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Dragon Heart said the following on 08/10/2007 02:12:

I must admit that I didn't know there ever were Lima service sheets.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Paul Boyd" wrote

The basic Lima motor unit was universal throughout the UK range (apart from the class 20s) consequently there was little need for service information.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Here in New Zealand during the 70s and 80s all retailers who did repairs got a set of (loco) service sheets. I have a folder of them stashed _somewhere_. These were all before Lima got serious about the UK market.

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Dragon Heart" wrote

Personally I'd buy him locos which work properly, but at least with the old Lima stuff you can pick them up for a song on eBay.

To remove the body from your Lima class 20 (from memory) you need to remove the four loco buffers and the body can then be lifted off the chassis.

Not much underneath which is serviceable I'm afraid. I think there's just a cheap & nasty sealed can motor, and a bit of wiring. You can replace the Lima motor with one from Mashima (don't ask me which) and I think Branchlines stock these along with replacement wheel sets.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks for the help John

Already removed the body and fitted decoder some weeks ago.

Branchlines say his Lima 20 requires :-

Mashima 18/30 motor (18 mm dia x 13 mm long) =A311.95

2 mm bore flywheel =A32.95 to =A33.95

1=2E5 mm x 2 mm drive shaft =A32.95

With p & p it's going to cost about =A320+ to fit new motor etc.

Whilst the addition of a flywheel will improve the running the loco itself is not worth =A320 is it !

Apparently there was an article using their products in Model Rail from August 2002 called "Turbo your Class 20"

Some time prior to my return to model railways, did anyone ever try it ?

Reply to
Dragon Heart

No, but I've still got that issue of Model Rail. E-mail me your postal address if you want it.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Dragon Heart said the following on 10/10/2007 00:11:

It will be once it has an improved mechanism :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Makes the Bachmann one a bargain

Reply to
Martin

"Dragon Heart" wrote

Some are, but why not just buy a Bachmann class 20 which already has a decent can motor, twin flywheels and four axle drive.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Think you're right

The Bachmann 32-029 Class 20 diesel 20023 in Railfreight livery is only =A336 @ Hattons and the 32-042DC D8101 BR green with DCC on board is only =A350

Can I use a Bachmann DCC loco on a Hornby Select unit ?

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Dragon Heart said the following on 11/10/2007 23:07:

Blimey - is that all they cost?

Forget everything I said about re-motoring the Lima model :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Only for the one with the Railfreight livery with the hideous large logo. The others cost a bit more but are still £15 less than my local dealer!

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Dragon Heart wrote in news:1191971507.381072.12690@

50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

I thought that you ought not to use flywheels with DCC? ('Course I could be misinformed)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"John Turner" wrote in news:13gsqto4rlvig58 @news.supernews.com:

I've got to agree, it is jaw droppingly powerfull and utterly reliable.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Chris Wilson writes

I think you are misinformed.

I have several US locomotives that came with DCC installed and they all have flywheels.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Jane Sullivan wrote in news:DOTMUeHsZ$ snipped-for-privacy@yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk:

Fair enough.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Yes but can I use a Bachmann DCC loco on a Hornby Select unit ?

Reply to
Dragon Heart

"Feedback" decoders shouldn't be used with flywheels, well in theory at least, as the feedback circuitry will windup (and vice versa) the traction current until the motor does what it is told to do. It can't do that instantaniously because of the flywheel momentum.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I ran this train round my layout, flywheel-less tank loco, 45 goods wagons, brake van, with the DCC set to feedback on. When it went down the hill (30 feet of 1 in 75 or thereabouts) the wagons would start pushing the loco and the train would accelerate until the feedback noticed, and the loco would immediately slow down to what the feedback thought the speed should be, resulting in some wagons derailing. The only way to stop this happening was to turn the feedback off. A flywheel in the loco would have been distinctly advantageous.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan