Kitchenaid mixer runs backwards

My brothers Kitchenaid mixer got knocked off the counter and the cord
ripped out. He hooked the cord back up and now it runs backwards so he
reversed the cord and it still runs backwards. The motor does have
brushes. Anyone got an idea what's going on and how to fix it?
Thanks
Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk
Mixers are powered with universal-wound motors. The wires to the brushes or to the field coil got reversed. Re-reverse one of them, but not both.
Joe Gwinn
Reply to
Joseph Gwinn
Of course reversing the cord won't make a difference. The cord is a two-pin plug isn't it? Is it even new enough to have the wider pin to polarize it? Anyway -- it is AC coming from the wall, so it is revering the power sixty times a second (in the US -- fifty times in the UK) anyway.
It is probably series connected -- one side of the line to one of the brushes, through the rotor, and out the other brush, then though the stator winding.
Reversing either the brush connections or the stator wiring (but not both at the same time) will change the direction of operation.
Probably one end of the stator is connected to one of the brush holders, and the brush holders got interchanged in the excitement. Open it again up and try to swap positions on the brush holders.
Good Luck, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
Place it on the counter right side up?
Reply to
Don Foreman
Turn the plug the other way, dummy. ;-)
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
I repurposed an old Kitchenaid mixer which indeed used a universal motor such as that. I ended up having to reverse it for the application I needed (driving a solenoid winder), which, while straightforward, was still a rather tedious job.
I wonder how OPs ended up reversing itself due to mechanical shock.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Danniken
Could be a damaged Phase Control Board.
See Item 39 on page 6 & 7.
--Winston
Reply to
Winston
My same wonder..... Winston seems to have provided a clue... goddamm, nuthin is simple anymore!
Reply to
Existential Angst
Thanks guys. That should get my brother started. Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk
I picked a model number out of.. the air.
You will want to get the real model number from your brother and plug it in here:
That will allow you to download the real parts diagram.
:)
--Winston
Reply to
Winston
(...)
A more *modern* design would have a microprocessor controlling the motor speed.
To paraphrase a great philosopher: Complication without benefit is malpractice.
OH! Here we go!
(I wonder how many fingers will be munched in the pinch point near the hinge.) Run the video demo and see if it doesn't creep you out.
Check out the finger crusher featured at 1:20 on this Viking unit:
--Winston
Reply to
Winston
Heh, and then, "benefit" has to be defined....
imo, they coulda well stopped at anaesthesia, Ford, and Edison.... well, Tesla.... Edison was actually a prelude to what's wrong with this country... him and a cupla others....
Reply to
Existential Angst
If the brush holder moves, it could have gotten knocked into a position where the motor is reversed. Have a couple of universal motors where the reversing is done that way instead of electrically switching brushes or field windings. Actually is a better method since it cuts down on brush arcing when running in reverse. One these motors, the brush holders are mounted in a ring around the commutator and the ring rotates about 90 degrees for reversing. Something to check, anyway.
Stan
Reply to
stans4
Looks like the power cord runs directly to the control plate assembly.

Spehro Pefhany
Years ago I tried several times to repair my wife's old Kitchen Aid mixer. I don't remember the particulars, but the governor was a mechanical weighted device and it could have been moving one of the brushes to regulate the speed. Are they still made that way? If so, the movable brush might have slipped so far as to cause a reversal of the motor. Does the speed control still change the speed?
Paul
Reply to
co_farmer
the mechanical regulator on kitchen aids interrupts the current, it does not move the brushes - at least on any of the ones I looked at - same as the sunbeam mixers
Reply to
Bill Noble
Thanks, Bill. That it did!
Paul
Reply to
co_farmer
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 22:54:14 -0500, Don Foreman wrote the following:
Forget the fix. Sell it to an Aussie or Gnu Zealish gal.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
I'm not sure which one my brother has but mine has the brushes mounted to the casing. There's no way to rotate them. Thanks Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 07:11:20 -0700, Winston wrote the following:
Oh, puhleeeeeze. You get 2 NannyState points for that post, Winnie.
Reply to
Larry Jaques