Kitchenaid mixer runs backwards

My brothers Kitchenaid mixer got knocked off the counter and the cord ripped out. He hooked the cord back up and now it runs backwards so he
reversed the cord and it still runs backwards. The motor does have brushes. Anyone got an idea what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks Karl

Mixers are powered with universal-wound motors. The wires to the brushes or to the field coil got reversed. Re-reverse one of them, but not both.
Joe Gwinn

    Of course reversing the cord won't make a difference. The cord is a two-pin plug isn't it? Is it even new enough to have the wider pin to polarize it? Anyway -- it is AC coming from the wall, so it is revering the power sixty times a second (in the US -- fifty times in the UK) anyway.
    It is probably series connected -- one side of the line to one of the brushes, through the rotor, and out the other brush, then though the stator winding.
    Reversing either the brush connections or the stator wiring (but not both at the same time) will change the direction of operation.
    Probably one end of the stator is connected to one of the brush holders, and the brush holders got interchanged in the excitement. Open it again up and try to swap positions on the brush holders.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
DoN. Nichols wrote:

I repurposed an old Kitchenaid mixer which indeed used a universal motor such as that. I ended up having to reverse it for the application I needed (driving a solenoid winder), which, while straightforward, was still a rather tedious job.
I wonder how OPs ended up reversing itself due to mechanical shock.
Jon

My same wonder..... Winston seems to have provided a clue... goddamm, nuthin is simple anymore!
--
EA

> Jon
On 7/16/2010 12:57 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
(...)

A more *modern* design would have a microprocessor controlling the motor speed.
To paraphrase a great philosopher: Complication without benefit is malpractice.
OH! Here we go! <(Amazon.com product link shortened)nter-2&pf_rd_rR5SBM7X4E3N8G0M9F1&pf_rd_t1&pf_rd_pG0938631&pf_rd_iP7846>
(I wonder how many fingers will be munched in the pinch point near the hinge.) Run the video demo and see if it doesn't creep you out.
Check out the finger crusher featured at 1:20 on this Viking unit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vulTNmToWQ

--Winston <-- No connection with any of these Bozos.

Heh, and then, "benefit" has to be defined....
imo, they coulda well stopped at anaesthesia, Ford, and Edison.... well, Tesla.... Edison was actually a prelude to what's wrong with this country... him and a cupla others....
--
EA

> OH! Here we go!
wrote the following:

Oh, puhleeeeeze. You get 2 NannyState points for that post, Winnie.
--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
On 7/17/2010 6:47 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
You get 2 NannyState points for that post, Winnie.
OhMyGod! I am *so* excited!
I Won!
:)
--Winston
wrote the following:

Rightio! You just won TWO ticket to your local PTA meeting, sir! Also included, at no charge or obligation, are two tickets to the local Neighborhood Gossip meeting being held in <your area> now.
Uh, Clem. Close B, Close Mode.
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
On 7/17/2010 8:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

All full of factory air conditioned air from our fully factory air conditioned factory!
--Winston
wrote the following:

Now entering freeway, which is already in progress.
Apple Valley Condoms. If you lived here, you'd be home by now!
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:17:51 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Place it on the counter right side up?
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 22:54:14 -0500, Don Foreman

Forget the fix. Sell it to an Aussie or Gnu Zealish gal.
--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following

Turn the plug the other way, dummy. ;-)
Steve

Could be a damaged Phase Control Board.
http://shared.whirlpoolcorp.com/assets/pdfs/literature/Repair%20Part%20List%20-%208204547.pdf
See Item 39 on page 6 & 7.
--Winston

Thanks guys. That should get my brother started. Karl

I picked a model number out of.. the air.
You will want to get the real model number from your brother and plug it in here:
http://www.whirlpool.com/custserv/index.jsp
That will allow you to download the real parts diagram.
:)
--Winston

If the brush holder moves, it could have gotten knocked into a position where the motor is reversed. Have a couple of universal motors where the reversing is done that way instead of electrically switching brushes or field windings. Actually is a better method since it cuts down on brush arcing when running in reverse. One these motors, the brush holders are mounted in a ring around the commutator and the ring rotates about 90 degrees for reversing. Something to check, anyway.
Stan
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:14:11 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:

Looks like the power cord runs directly to the control plate assembly.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)