MTH Pennsylvania RR K4

Specifically the K4 (scroll down).

Has anyone purchased one of these? Any comments other than "it's not british"?!

I've seen and heard one and it appeared extremely impressive but personal experience would be appreciated.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Its not British (gets coat etc)

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Reply to
Rob Kemp

In message , Graham Harrison writes

Not me, but I've ordered their next HO model:

Jane Sullivan

In message , Graham Harrison writes

I can contribute very little that can help, as I do not own any MTH locos. However, a point to keep in mind. People here (UK) have experienced problems running Lionel 0 gauge TMCC controlled locos, because the system does not like our 50 cycles mains power. Whether the same applies to the equivalent MTH system (DCS) I don't know, and whether the 0 gauge DCS is the same as the H0 DCS, I don't know. I suspect not, as the web site says the locos can be controlled by any DCC system.

Lots of unknowns there, but something to think about :-)

Reply to
Graeme

I have to admit the question was slightly naughty because I actually have one! I bought it in the US last week. I got it out of the box last night for the first time and it runs beautifully. My only issue, at the moment, is quite how it responds to Function commands under DCC. I got it all running but I'm not quite sure how, or why. Their documentation implies that a single function key depress is sufficient. My ZTC controller treats the first function key depress as "on" and the second as "off" and it took a couple of goes to get it all up and running. The other issue I had was how to load the protosmoke oil and which way the switch was meant to go for on and off. In the end I dripped the oil into the chimney (which seems to have worked) and ran the machine for a minute or two with the switch one way and when that didn't work flipped it the other and I got smoke. The chuff sound and smoke are nicely co-ordinated. It also has station sounds which you can set to play during a station stop and it automatically restarts at the end of the recording! The slow speed running is impressive. I was getting about 2 mph minimum (well that's impressive to me).

Reply to
Graham Harrison