Lima OO scale

Dunno, but bigger than that.

Lledo/Corgi now produce Trackside trucks, vans and cars in 1:76.

Reply to
MartinS

Yes, in terms of species considerably longer than man has existed, in terms of the planet, a mere blink of the eye.

Reply to
estarriol

This is true and one of the main batches of Data for/against Global Warming is the changes that London (and Britain) has made to the atmosphere, you can see genuine changes from the pre-clean air act times when smogs were a problem, through the production of gases to dump acid rain on Norway to the oil product produced pollution issues that are around now.

Personnally I am still unconvinced by many of the GW arguments, not because things are not changing, they patently are, but I am really not sure we understand the cause and effect of the changes, or the effects the much promoted counter measures will actually have.

Reply to
estarriol

"Greg Procter" wrote

I didn't say they could; I suggested they could change from year to year. ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Greg Procter" wrote

Everything is for sale at the right price! ;-)

I'd thought about keeping this and the Bavarian Mallet, but I doubt I'd have a use for them for some considerable time. The 2-4-0T and (3) coaches is a limited edition boxed set by Fleischmann and I'd want something like GBP150.00 for it - that's what an identical set sold for recently on eBay. It cost approaching GBP200.00 when new.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"simon" wrote

Didn't our former Prime Minister recently sign up to an accord wherein we all have to cut our personal carbon footprint by something approaching 65%?

I read that to achieve that we'd all have to give up our cars, stop heating &/or air-conditioning our homes and effectively stop using any domestic applicances such as freezers, televisions and the like, plus quit taking flights for package holidays etc., etc...

We've SIGNED UP FOR THIS which means , being Englishmen, we'll actually go for it - or be very heavily taxed!!!

Now the cynic in me (I prefer to think I'm a realist) just accepts this is what Global Warming is all about - MORE TAXATION - but scare the population stupid in the meantime so they come to accept that this increased taxation is necessary!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The Prime Minister's advisor on this subject - the one who called Ryanair "Public Enemy Number One" - commutes between Birningham and Aberdeen every day by private jet! He declined to be interviewed on the subject.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The only web reference I could find said the lifeboats were 1/64 but they also said that about the AEC Renown so probably not a reliable a source.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Gordon is not merely "allowing" sub post offices, he is _forcing_ them to close. There's a difference. Main post offices and sorting offices are also now being closed. The rump of the business which survives will be sold to Rupert Murdoch and renamed "Royal TNT Mail". The latter will stop paying regular wages and force postmen to rely on commission based on the amount of junk mail they force through people's letterboxes.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I've yet to meed anyone who accepts that taxation will help people worry about the environment (most will indeed worry, but not about the environment), and those who I heard on radio/tv/in the papers supporting it are noticabely from London and seem to think that public transport up to London standards is available throughout he entire country, even in the middle of the Peak Park or Yorkshire Dales etc. Our nice new Glorious Leader spouts the same inconsistent tosh - on his first day in office he says he's determined to get people out of their cars, yet is allowing sub-post offices to close forcing people to use their cars more. Until the Government/environmetal lobby get real, they are likely to have the opposite effect by setting themselves up for ridicule.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

}We're certainly pumping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere much faster }than the earth can absorb it - that's scientific fact measureable from }ice cores.

Methane is a considerably more important than CO2, just because they cannot measure it or in otherwise screw up does not fact make.

26% of global greenhouse gasses are caused by cows farting.

{R}

Reply to
{R}

A miss-print for 1/6 farthing? ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Only 1/2 a million

So does the ice, can it be tracked as to where it was for a particular year - or even a range.

Then you need a fair number to get those parameters instead.

Reply to
simon

So if there are a million scenarios and one of them happened then the others will follow as sure as ... Nope, dont think so.

Reply to
simon

Most of us are concerned about the passage of time in human terms. A million years is a lot of generations.

Reply to
Greg Procter

One thing about Antarctic ice cores is that they even out local situations like London to produce data more closely reflecting the world situation - polution is increasing drastically year by year.

I quite agree with you, except that even the moderate GW arguments suggest disaster in about 100 years time with little hope of avoidance unless we start making major changes now.

Reply to
Greg Procter

That would leave 74% from manufacturing, transport, lighting, heating ... Here in NZ we have a high proportion of farting cows, but on the plus side the cows are producing either dairy or meat products which get eaten by the consumers of the other 74%.

- if we cut cow fart polution you don't eat.

- If you turn off the lights you don't need, travel by more efficient means (and/or reduce travel) and reduce "throw-away" production we won't have to suffer the problems caused by your polution.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I've come across quarter farthing pieces, but 1/6th???

Reply to
Greg Procter

So count to half a million - it's a lot of numbers!

Well, yes.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Ok, stand in the bus lane and keep telling me you haven't been run over! ;-)

The point is that 95% of scientists agree that global warming is occuring and that human actions are causing that effect.

5% disagree and claim natural causes. 0.1% claim global warming isn't happening. I'm confident that the changes won't be too drastic in my lifetime (the loss of a few million Brits and yanks is neither here nor there) but in 100 years my grandchildren and their children are almost certainly going to be in trouble from our generation's actions.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter