machined sundials

Hi group: I am not sure how interested anyone will be in this, but I am in the process of trying to turn a long time hobby into a retirement business. You can see the results on my new web site

Any suggestions or questions are welcome, reply here or thru the web site e-mail links.

TIA Dave G.

Reply to
Dave Gee

They are really beautiful, Don. I wish you the best in the business. (Sadly, beyond my means right now.)

One observation: The links on your website are difficult to read on my monitor, and would benefit from a colour change.

Lovely machines! (I *do* want one!)

-- Jeff R. (in Sydney)

Reply to
Jeff R

Thanks Jeff: Could you be more specific about the links? My web skills are not the best, and am not sure which pages you mean, also, what browser are you using?

TIA Dave G.

Reply to
Dave Gee

Sure Dave.

I'm using both IE 6 and Firefox 1.0. My monitor is a Samsung 17" LCD.

My problem: (and its a minor one) You appear to have set the color for links to #ffffff (white), which doesn't show up well against the tan background.

If you just alter (in the BODY statement) the parameter link=#ffffff to link=#(some other colour - say A089D9 ( a nice pastel-ish purple) then the links will appear as that colour - more contrasty than white on tan.

Postscript: I'm having a hard time locating the statement in your code. When I look at your page code I can't find the "link=" parameter, nor a CSS which controls it. My Zonealarm is doing funny things too. When I copy your page to my local disk, the statement pops right up, but I still can't see it on your live code, even if I switch Zonealarm off. :-(

Question... What colour do you see the link text as? I see white.

Maybe the clock applet is doing something funny... (?)

Look - the problem is a minor one and perhaps not one to worry about ('though its bugging me).

I still *love* those sundials....

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R

On 7 May 2005 00:21:55 -0700, the inscrutable "Dave Gee" spake:

I agree, Dave. White text link on a beige background is hard to read. Suggestion: swap out the first basic callout with this:

Nice machines. How's business? RE: the 3x price difference, are the Aten II cast vs. machined? Are you machining these by hand or CNC?

Best of luck to you!

------------------------------------------------------ No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat. ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 7 May 2005 09:48:28 -0700, the inscrutable "Dave Gee" spake:

Now to convince buyers that yours are as precise for less money... Again, g'luck!

Excellent idea.

------------------------------------------------------ No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat. ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Links look ok to me (unless they have been changed) Nice work - far to nice to leave outside in the weather...

Reply to
geoff m

Nice work on the sundials! Wonder if I could convince my wife to get one??

My $.025 (inflation adjsutment) I found the text to be a bit too techy to appeal to the gardener type that was looking for some useful but still ornamental object in the garden. And I suspect that the market for the real time worshiper to be pretty thin. You need to figure out who you are trying to speak to and adjust your prose to match.

As someone else mentioned, why the difference in prices? Ans: one is Stainless and will last longer without discoloration. And the brass one will go antique fairly fast. You need to bring that out.

Cheers.

Dave Gee wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

Hmmm ... I'm using Firefox 1.0.3 and I get tan-ish (not white) text on black background. I wonder if we have some options set differently. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt