Enfield manual anyone?

I have a couple of the Enfield flat twin two stroke engines. Neither of them go & I wonder if I'm missing something ;o))

Perhaps someone on this list has a photocopy - or PDF - I could scrounge off them? I've looked on Internal Fire & they don't appear to have one.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Time flies like an arrow Fruit flies like a banana

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Kim Siddorn" wrote

The thing usually missing from these engines is sparks! ISTR there is some info on the double cd set of manuals which Martin Hirst produced a while ago.

Reply to
Nick H

Aha!

Thanks Nick, I have those CD-rom's & there is the PDF of the manual - I'd not have thought of it but for your comment, thank you ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Time flies like an arrow Fruit flies like a banana

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Hi Kim, as a fair number of us start to develop senile decay it would be a good time for some kind person to start a general engine list giving the locations of info for all the makes. (too big a job for me nowadays)

Reply to
Dave Croft

Hi Dave,

I know what you mean, there is a lot of excellent information out there that is sometimes difficult to find so I'm trying to get just such a thing started in the form of my web site:

It's early days yet and it still needs much development to become what I hope one day will become a useful resource but the intention is to provide a kind of a 'one stop shop' for people to find SE related information, either located on my site or linked to the other resources out there (with appropriate recognition of other site owners, i.e. not hot-links).

I am trying to produce a pictorial database of engines which is currently limited but growing by the day as people donate pictures and information.

I'm also working, slowly, on a searchable index for SEM to alleviate the difficulty that people have of searching through dozens of indexes to find the information they require. The index will be available/downloadable from the site, and, if they are interested, donated to SEM.

Just for reassurance, there are no financial incentives here and the site does not and will not carry adverts, pop-ups or any other anti-social elements.

The development is slow but steady as I am doing my best not to tread on anyone's toes or infringe copyrights etc (and I don't have anywhere near enough time!).

Any other ideas, information or constructive criticism gratefully accepted!

Reply to
mark.howard10

Crankcase seals?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Crankcase seals? - I fancy not. I had a Villiers WX11 (still got it!) that had leaky seals & it made a hissing noise as the piston came down. The Enfield is silent. I suspect the ignition, a known failure point on these engines. The spark is weak even though the coil has been rewound.

I need to get a Citroen double ender - quiet at the back, stop giggling.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Well, reading the OP I thought you would have checked the ignition system and was looking for something more sinister, it was only a suggestion. I don't know anything about the Enfield but I have a 1934 Villiers t/s that doesn't have any crankcase seals, well, not on the magneto side. ;-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Sorry if I gave even the vaguest offence, certainly none intended ;o))

I've been right through the ignition on the LT side & it's simple enough, running out to HT coils which I suspect are very lossy after all these years. The LT coil has been rewound, but only gives the faintest of sparks. I've tried most things (including fitting Honda double ended coils) & in desperation wanted to look at the manual to see if the timing was where I thought it was.

As it is, I'm drawn to the conclusion that the flywheel needs remagnetising or the rewound coil has not been done properly. Either way, a sinking feeling in the wallet appears to be in order .......

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Kim,

Spin it up with another engine, this may overcome the lack of gravitational urges and fire. I've found occasionally once run the magnetism comes back.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Absolutely none taken

remagnetising

I once had trouble getting sparks out of the mag on one of those 'Flying Fleas' which was an Enfield though I'm trying to remember what make of magneto was on it or what I did then to sort it. If I remember rightly I think it was a Miller mag, but not sure. I think that needed remagnetising. I found and downloaded a useful workshop manual a short while ago on that subject entitled Lucas equipment volume 2 workshop instructions for remagnetisation of magnetos. At the top it says Section D-6 Issue 2, April

1953 supercedes Issue 1, February 1952, quite informative but I can't find where I got it from.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

In message , Oily writes

Try here

George Hendry

Or try looking through the service manuals and tech tips at this site I'm sure that's where I got it from along with a load of other documents on mags and carbs etc.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul Swindell