Mk 15 Villiers

I've been after one of these little overhead valve engines in a desultory fashion for some time. I've chased four without success, but finally collared one with a stuck valve for about twenty-five quid on e-bay a few weeks ago.

The more exciting ST flat twin has taken my attention recently, but I finally got around to the Villiers yesterday. It was neglected & filthy dirty, thus preserving the remains of its green paint. After cleaning with Gunk (not the same as the product I used in my youth - ah, the smell on a hot engine ;o)) )The rusty steel bits were actually brightened considerably by the cautious application of a brass wire brush & an oily rag, discovering a lot more painted surface than was immediately obvious - this apro pos of our running conversation here about whether to repaint or not ;o))

As it starts & runs just fine, I've decided to ignore the occasionally sticky valve & see if it gets worse or better before investigating.

The leaking petrol tap (round barrel) was removed & an Enott's tap (flat slide) was recorked & fitted. This was then beyond the reach of the pipe, so I turned the tank around.

HAH!

The tank had been sat on by a giant, requiring squashing in a padded vice to regain its shape. The straps were all distorted & needed straightening. Whatever had filled the rust holes at one end fell off & the hole needed re-sealing (Plastic Metal at thus stage - we'll see .........) Took all evening.

And now we are ready to run without a "pouring out" tap - which is exactly what I'm going to do after breakfast.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Time flies like an arrow Fruit flies like a banana

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Well, that was almost boring. Started first pull, fuel system & tank continent, even ticks over (lumpily).

Now to find it something to drive.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Time flies like an arrow Fruit flies like a banana

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

The engine arrived fixed to a scruffy block of wood with wood screws. These I have discarded, but was surprised to find that the heavy bit of 2" thick timber is English oak. Planed, sanded & bevel edged, it looks pretty good in plain varnish.

I have decided to use it to drive one of my odd electrical devices. It is fitted with a vee pulley & rejoices in no less than three commutators, two at one end of the armature & one at the other. It is open framed and after fiddling with the leads, it motors on 12 volts at high speed - 6/7k, I'd guess. The other two comms are without their brushes or wiring & I wonder at the label which describes it as a 240volt, 50 cycle AC device. You can see a photo of it at

and would welcome any thoughts about wiring the other two commutators - or not!

My thought was to encourage it to produce 200 odd volts to drive a bulb through a big old potentiometer. The latter would be mounted on a board with ammeter & voltmeter within reach of the public. Turning the knob would make the engine grunt, the dials move & the bulb glow brighter.

Cause and effect in an inter-reactive display!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Time flies like an arrow Fruit flies like a banana

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Looks remarkably like a rather elderly frequency converter to me, but I may well be wrong. If it's OK by you, I'll print a copy and ask a mate (retired industrial sparky). Wish I'd known you wanted a Mk.15. Local scrapyard had a tidy one for a fiver a coupla months ago. I've got one on a Howard Bantam which might be sold at some point. After I've excavated the byre far enough to get it out that is... Cheers, Scruff.

Kim Siddorn wrote:

Reply to
scruffybugger

Yes please, do copy photo to whoever can help!

I might have a home for another one in due course.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Time flies like an arrow Fruit flies like a banana

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

The Mk 15 is now properly bolted to it's polished & varnished oak block. The three commutator rotating device was renovated with a judicious brass wire brush clean, masked the non-painted bits & replicated the satin black finish very closely with Plastic Bumper spray from my local motor factors. I then sealed the armature windings with red paint & it looks quite good. Finally, it was bolted to the base plate from below.

By dint of a length of string, a nice, new drive belt was obtained from Antifriction Components Ltd - Units 5-6 & 8-9, The Commercial Centre, Days Rd, St. Philips, Bristol, BS2 0QS - 0117 955 6678. It is the second time they had a belt that no one else could supply & I'm impressed but not involved - if you get my meaning ;o)) They have a £10.00 minimum cash sale policy ........

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Time flies like an arrow Fruit flies like a banana

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

In another thread it was pointed out that one must never take anything for granted. You'll recall I'd recorked an Enott's tap & fitted it. Since then, the beast was hard to start & wouldn't run for long.

Tonight, I ran a bit of 1/6" welding rod up through the tap & met resistance. Just because the tap doesn't leak & has nice new corks, it doesn't mean it isn't blocked ...........

Brrrm!

Tomorrow, adventures with a trailer ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn