Villiers MK25 timing...

Hi all. I'm a bit new to stationery engines and have just acquired a Villiers MK25 as a garden machine. I want to use it for it's original intention. It is a Mayfield 2-wheel tractor. Image here...

Anyway, I have it firing (backfiring). And there is a spark at the plug. Also, the compression seems good.

However, the thing just won't run. I am sure it's the timing and I have found the settings for timing, spark plug gap points gap etc from the internet. I just don't know where to start to find the TDC mark, - or what I have to dismantle, and how to set it.

I can follow instructions, but I havent been able to source either a manual for this engine, or a knowledgeable person patient enough to talk me through it. I'm hoping this might change by posting in the group!

Anyone fancy imparting some valuable knowledge?

Appreciate ANY help.

Regards,

Howard.

Reply to
Howie

Howie,

Not sure of Villiers details but to find TDC take cylinder head off its the easiest way, turn crank so that you see points open that way you will know youre in the right place, go around again and stop the piston say 100 thou from TDC and set the points here to open. Its a starting point.

Mart> Hi all.

Reply to
Campingstoveman

If you're lucky the spark plug hole position will allow a piece of bent wire to be used to find TDC. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

"Points are set to open when the piston is 3/16" BTDC"

"Approximate position of this can be seen by the driving shaft keyway, it is approx 20 Degrees before vertical"

Point gap is 0.012" to 0.016"

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Thanks to everyone here who helped, and also Paul who emailed me. The engine is now running! And quite well too.

The only thing is that I think I need a new set of points. Is it possible to obtain them, and where from?

As always, I would appreciate any help.

Regards,

H.

Reply to