Villiers magneto

Can some kind soul tell me how to remove a magneto from a villiers 2 stroke mower engine .

I need to remove it so I can clean the points to get me some spark at the plug

Picture and an explanation of what is going on

Here

The wild eye

ISTR its a captive nut. Keep winding, when really tight give the nut a sharp tap and keep winding. hth Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

I was just about to say the same thing. Turning the nut anticlockwise it turns into a removal tool.

Reply to
Dave Croft

The flywheel part of the magneto is held onto the tapered shaft with the large bolt in the centre. I think I am right in saying that when you unscrew this bolt it acts as a puller for the flywheel, thats why it only goes a couple of turns and goes tight.

Reply to
Martin Hirst

so do I turn it clockwise or anticlock ?

I have tried anticlockwise and I hit it sharply till I am blue in the face

I have soaked it in wd40 (dont you just love that stuff) and will carry on in the morning I think it may be stuck on the shaft

Steve

Reply to
The wild eye

Anti-clock as in undoing. Its a taper so it will be tight, hence my suggestion of a good belt once its wound up tight. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Three and a half hours I have been whacking this magneto bolt and it still wont turn

Reply to
The wild eye

Three and a half hours I have been whacking this magneto bolt and it still wont turn

Reply to
The wild eye

It will move. I had exactly the same problem on my Ruston PT. Don`t be afraid to put a lot of force behind it. I had to use an extension bar to shift mine as it had probably never been off before.

Reply to
Stuart Carter

----------------------------------------------------------The correct way is not to use steady leverage.Fit a suitable size ring spanner and using a hammer strike the end of the opp.end of the spanner in a succession of small blows. Villiers in fact supplied a special tool called the "hammertite" sometimes available on E-Bay and fetching silly money.I know I sold one for £35 !!! Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H.

Mike.H.

Hi Mike, ever since this came up I have been Googling to see if the spanner I thought of really did exist. (I found nothing) I remember a ring spanner with a square block of steel at the other end. The block as a target for a sharp Anticlockwise hammer blow at the point of removal from the taper. Strange it doesn't seem to be anywhere on the net!

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Dave, You will be pleased to know I.ve seen one in use so you are not deaming.

Mart>>> It will move. I had exactly the same problem on my Ruston PT. Don`t

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Hi Dave,

Take a look at McMaster-Carr

(or other) and search for "Striking Wrench" or "Slugging Wrench". Not ring spanners, but also not a large range either. And searches for "striking wenches" or "slugging wenches" should be directed to other web sites. 8-))

See ya, Arnie

Arnie Fero Pittsburgh, PA USA

Dave Croft wrote:

Reply to
hit_n_miss

Reply to
Mike.H.

"Slogging ring" seems to be the UK term:

Tom

Reply to
Tom

A Seven Bells Spanner seems a better name :-))

Mart> "Mike.H." wrote:

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Used somewhere near Seven Dials?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Hi Dave thease spanners do exist snap-on do a good range and they do a good job they are only avalible from the van i just checked the web site and they are not for sale on the web Nick Holden Banbury Oxfordshire (UK) snipped-for-privacy@holden1.net

nick-holden

Anyway, did you get it undone? To reiterate, you should undo it in the usual (anticlockwise) direction for the three turns you've noticed, then whack the spanner with a hammer when it goes tight. Do this until it comes off or if resistant to this persuasion, take the spanner off and strike the end of the nut a hard blow. This should do it!

Still nothing?

Now we enter the realm of opinion & mine would be to get a solid steel drift and (with the nut still under tension) strike the flywheel hub as close to the nut as possible, moving round in a circle. This drives the taper further on, momentarily breaking the molecular adhesion. Thus freed, it should spring off .

Best of luck and do tell us how you get on.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I have not yet got this flywheel of yet

The most awkward part of the job is stopping the engine from turning while I strike the spanner .

Hoiwever I do have some friends who work for British bakeries in Bristol and they do all the servicing of the bread delivery vans . So when I visit British bakeries as part of my job on Monday I will load the mower into my van and have them turn this nut with an air gun , hopefully that will work

Steve

Reply to
The wild eye