Villiers Flywheel Magneto

Having just to started to bring back to life a Ruston Hornsby PB 1.5hp, I am faced with trying to get the Villiers flywheel magneto to bits.

I have unscrewed the centre nut which comes undone and then tightens. Ok. Reading up on this it seems a special tool is then required or strike the nut on the flat face sharply to loosen the flywheel. I have done this nut it refuses to budge. Can anyone help me with this? Is there an easier way/trick to removing it?

Thanks

Phil C

Reply to
Philip Carter

When I had one I used to unscrew the nut until it tightened to the remove position then hit the outer spanner end in the untighten direction with a fast large hammer to break the seal. I always managed it!

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Map
Map

dave croft

The standard Villiers flywheel is as Dave says, a self-extracting unit.

The 'special' Villiers spanner is just a heavy-duty box spanner that will take a bit of a bash on the bar to release the taper.

Just undo the nut and when it starts to tighten up again, hit the other end of the ring spanner with a mallet or piece of wood and it will undo the taper.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

As the others say, its just a case of keep unscrewing the nut until the flywheel comes off. When you start, the nut will loosen and then tighten again as the nut binds on the flyhweel, keep loosening (when you might have to tap the spanner with a mallet) and the nut will draw the whole flywheel off the shaft. Have a couple of bits of iron handy to place accross the magnets as keepers. I am told that this flywheel is self keeping but others say it is not, to be sure I always stick a couple of bits of metal accross the magnets.

Once the flywheel is off it is usually 2 slot headed screws in the centre of the backplate that holds the whole assembly onto the engine. Undo these and the whole magneto should come off the engine.

The next bit is coil/condenser testing to see if it will work !! There are some very good articles in the Stationary Engine magazine that covers the rebuilding of these magnetos however I don't have my copies handy to advise issue numbers, perhaps someone else can advise ?

Cheers David

Reply to
David McC

Success!

After taking everyones advice it was simply a matter of giving the spanner a bit of welly. Extreme caution prevented me from applying a lot of force as I am sure everyone rues the day they gave that bolt/nut that little bit extra tweak in the hope that it would come undone only to find it snap flush.

Thanks again

Reply to
Philip Carter

Hi Phil I have a Villier mk 25 stationary engine and the flywheel nut also acts as a puller nut.As you unwind this nut it come up against part of the flywheel boss and on turning it further it pulls the flywheel of the taper. I used a pneumatic impact wrench (set on low torque) which means you dont have to jam the flywheel or crankshaft. Just hold the flywheel with your hand. I am not sure whether this method is suitable for your engine. Has ' www,internalfire.com got a manual for your engine?

atb Steve

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted from Internal Fire Newsreader

Share your knowledge in... uk.rec.engines.stationary ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Steve Holroyd

Phil,

As Steve says, just keep winding the nut off, it will pull the flywheel with it. I have a Ruston PB and can confirm that this method works on Rustons as well as Villiers. It may be worth applying pressure with then nut and then gently tapping the flywheel to break the joint. Good luck!

Mark

Mark

Reply to
Mark Howard