Series 1 Petter AV?

Don't all rush at once, but this looks like a Series 1 AV with the horizontal injector. and indirect injection. Not a great success and few of them survive, in fact I only know of one other.

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
Philip THornton-Evison

Nice to see an original farm set-up. What date would you put on the AV, Philip?

Regards, Arthur G

Arthur G

Erm, I think the Series 1 dated from 1948-50. The combustion chamber design was borrowed from the Cub flat twin, which shared the same bore. Apparently it was poor starter, and smoked badly under load. However, the one AV of this type which goes to Welland seems to start without any trouble, and runs just fine. Mind you, it might be a different story on top of a Welsh mountain on a cold winters morning..........

Best Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
Philip THornton-Evison

They were a sod to start, and yet the Cub engine, fromn whence most of the AV1 Srs1 cylinder head, piston etc came from, was fine.

There are probably very few extant now as most were junked in the

1960's and replaced with the AVA air-cooled models. We have an AV1 series 2 which came back from Portugal on the last trip.

Peter

Prepair Ltd