Ruston Hornsby 8PB 3hp Stationary Engine on Ebay

Why do people make such high trolleys? Looks like its poised to strike and would certainly fall over for a nothing.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Ouch!

You come and try and push it over, Kim. :-)

I personally think the closer an engine is to eye level the more interesting and attractive it is to watch.

Reply to
Arthur G

That you then Arthur? Need to raise a bit of cash for sheep dip I suppose. Engine still looks cheap to me, the bigger PB is not that common a rally visitor. I always like the "ooh 'eck, where shall we put it" magneto mounting and drive, ISTR the smaller version initially wore a flywheel mag, I wonder if the same is true of the 8PB?

Good luck!

Reply to
Nick H

As the range was introduced in 1930, but the RS1 mag dates from 1935 IIRC, then it wouldn't have been used at first. I know that the Wico EK1 was used on some, but don't know if it was used from the start.

I'm sure one of the group more erudite and lower trollied than myself can fill us in ;-).

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

Was there not also a chain drive magneto version, not sure make of magneto but I recall it to be a slim, round magneto, chain driven off the crankshaft ? (may have been a version of a Wico ?) I have seen two of these engines, they are pretty rare I think, unfortunately I have no photos. Maybe someone else can fill in the blanks! As far as I know it was only the small 1.5HP PB that had the flywheel mag but later ones used a direct driven RS1. I have also seen 8PB's with Lucas N1's which may or may not be original. Similarly PT's used the flywheel mag at first and the RS1 at a later date.

Regards David

then it wouldn't have been used at first. I

fill us in ;-).

Reply to
David McC

Hi David and all, reading last night I found that a chain-drive Wico A was another of the magnetos used on PBs.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

Whoops!! Lifts foot, opens mouth, walks right it - sorry Arthur, no offence intended.

I saw a high-mounted engine leap to its doom *through* the side of a trailer on a busy A road some years ago, and it is always in my mind since then that cast iron is heavy and is just looking for an opportunity to 'ave you ;o))

Sad to say, it tipped out sideways, smashing the planked side of the trailer like matchwood. The securing strap pulled it round and it landed on its head at fifty miles an hour, turning end over end & shattering into several weighty pieces to the consternation of the traffic and the owner. I stopped and helped him clear the carriageway and I think (I wasn't in the hobby then) that it was a Crossley gas engine.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

None taken, Kim :-), seriously, it isn't as high as you think, I did take some of the photos from very low down. Its no higher than a proper original Bamford 3hp trolley would be, and a Bamford 3hp is rather more top heavy.

Have you bought a boat for that engine yet?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G