cov climax on ebay

Anyone interested?

Nick H

I could be, if I could get a suitable 240v alternator to go with it. Someone must have one lying around in the dark caverns of there store sheds......

Andy G

Andy Greening

I've done it finally!!

I've now joined the ranks of this group properly by having bought this engine (and bits!)

The great news is that the seller is going to let me buy the rest of the bits he's got for them including the alternators!

I'm picking it up on Monday, but will be away from the computer for a fortnight, but I'll let you know what it's like when I return.

In the meantime can anyone fill some gaps in for me? I know that it is a SM engine. Before I try to get the old girl running can anyone provide any details on settings and replacement parts like plugs etc.

Another thing, will running her on unleaded do any damage (I'm presuming it's not an alloy block, and will have soft valve seats)? I intend to be using her during powercuts.

Any help is greatfully recieved,

A Very happy chappie

Andy G. ;->

Reply to
Andy Greening

Well done that man - and not a run-of-the-mill stationary engine by any stretch of the imagination!

Lifting shamelessly from Eric Brain's C-C page (havn't heard from you for ages Eric):-

"The business flourished and continued until the depression of the 1930's which saw the demise of many small car manufacturers. This left the company with a small stock of surplus engines, especially those for Swift cars which had recently gone into liquidation. By this time, Mr. Lee had passed the business on to his son, Leonard, who made the wise decision to utilise these engines, (by now called Coventry Climax following a change of address) firstly, in stationary generating sets as the 800cc sidevalve SM series (Swift Motors) producing barely 20bhp and, just before the second World War, in fire-pumps to meet a government requirement."

So, the SM engine dates from the 1930's or earlier, though how long it remained in production as an industrial unit I don't know. If material spec is the same as pre war examples then there will be no problem with unleaded, it was not until the 50's that designers began to exploit the lubricating properties of lead compounds to enable them to use cheaper materials for valves and seats. Anybody know if side-valve engines are more forgiving in this respect anyway - seat cooling must be better than in some marginal OHV designs?

Anyway, I'm sure you have many hours of happy tinkering ahead and I hope that we can look forward to regular updates on this NG or, even better, a nice article in SEM.

Reply to
Nick H

Don't know if it's the same beasty, but check out this manual on Internal Fire site:-

Nick H

Try again:-

Nick H

Nope, still don't seem to have a working link.

HELP Paul!

Reply to
Nick H

Hi Nick, You second attempt takes me to the download point OK!

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

That's OK then, must just be me.

Reply to
Nick H

Its always you :-)) , going to Lamport, I managed to get a shoe on today without to much discomfort so I will be going.

Mart> That's OK then, must just be me.

Reply to
Campingstoveman

To the Ball, Cinders? ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Da Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, Roland,

Back to your old self :-))

I'll tell you if somebody bangs it death will not be good enough :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman