Emerson Horizontal bandsaw?

One of my scores this week is a 7" Emerson horizontal bandsaw. Anyone
heard of them?
Its big, fairly beefy, and appears one step up from the usual
Taiwanese import. Ive not cleaned all the spooge off it so havent
found out where it was made. I do see a lable on the leg that says
Reliance Electric under the spooge. Which is a bit odd......and it has
a GE motor on it.
The aluminum step pully on the gear box was flopping loose and
battered out of size, so I chucked it in a 4 jaw, indicated it in,
then bored it out to .750.
Removing the entire chuck and setting it aside, I then put in a 5C
collet and a piece of 1" aluminum stock and turned it to .752 and
over length by several inches.
I then stuck it in the freezer for an hour.
When it was cold, I placed the 4 jaw chuck in my hydraulic press, and
heated the bored pulley with a heat gun, then pressed in the 1"
aluminum stub. Then I put the chuck back on the lathe, parted off the
over length bit of stub, then drilled and bored it to .626 to fit the
gearbox shaft (which badly needed clean up with a file)
( I was surprised on how close the aluminum stub ran, before parting
it off after I reinstalled the chuck and pulley)
Since I dont have a keyway broach, or a boring bar small enough to
slot it on the shaper (making a note), I took a long setscrew, and
turned the end to fit snugly inside the gearbox shaft keyway.
Drilling the old setscrew hole through the new bushing and threading
it, then rolling it 90 degrees and drilling and tapping another
setscrew hole (which will get a brass tipped setscrew) completed the
repair of the pulley.
When I plugged in the saw yesterday...sparks flew and I found the
power cord had been broken and shorted at the entry to the motor
terminal cover, so after I install the repaired pulley here in a
little bit, Ill replace the wiring completely, add a second switch for
the coolant pump and tank , replace all the rotted coolant hose
using hose from my piles of Stuff..and see if this thing will actually
cut, and cut a straight line.
If this thing is good, I may have my
Dayton/Grizzly/Import/Rebadged/Generic 7" horizontal bandsaw
available for someone.
Unless anyone thinks it would be better than the Emerson..in which
case..Ill sell off the Emerson. (but Ill keep the coolant pump and
tank
Though..there is a nice old Kalamazoo horizontal sitting in a corner
of a clients shop thats not been used for many years I might be able
to trade em out of.......
Gunner
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Reply to
Gunner
I asume you already have your keyway problem solved, but, I do have several keyway broaches. You are welcome to borrow it/them.
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Martes
Many thanks Jerry. I simply turned the head of a setscrew down to keyway diameter and snugged it in. Shrug..its not a particuarly highly loaded interface.
Btw..the saw runs nice, though it cuts at a serious angle. I pissed around with the roller adjustments and got it cutting in the other direction...sigh. The blade is quite dull, and is something like 18T per inch..so it needs to be replaced before I can do anything much. I ran out of 3/4" blade stock (someone borrowed the roll and never brought it back and now I cant find em).
Anyone need a full box of 1" 10T raker set Nicholson bandsaw blade (shop worn box)? Ill trade it straight across for a box of 3/4" 6T-14T. Im not proud, though would prefer 10T
Oh..and the saw is marked Made in USA. Pretty well made once I got the spooge off of it, all sorts of nifty engineering that ya dont see in the import saws.
Gunner
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Reply to
Gunner
We bought one new over 25 years ago, its still a nice little saw, the old ones, like ours were formed from 1/4 steel plate and had a gear-box with parallel in and out shafts, the newer ones have a frame from 3/16 plate and a 90 degree gear box, i think they are also good saws but I can't say from experience. About the only thing we have done is replace all the bearings a few times, and we added a air vice when it was new, oh yea we have had a issue with the drive wheel coming loose on the shaft, but other than that it's held up in an industrial environment with a lot of use very well.
Reply to
Jon Petrzelka
This one has at least 1/4" steel plate for body, and bigger for vise etc, so its probably the same vintage as your first one.
Thanks for the response.
Gunner
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Reply to
Gunner

Lane
Ayup. The ebay one is rigged like mine, with the splash guards and coolant troughs.