parts washer solvent?

I have a Graymills drum-mounted parts washer. Last time it needed solvent I plunked down something like $75 for 10 gallons of Super Agitene at Grainger. NFW I'm going to do that again. It's time to clean it out and put in new solvent, and I'm looking for something I can homebrew or buy cheaply, ideally locally. I know that NAPA stores carry stuff called "Solvent" in one-gallon bottles but that stuff is brown and sort of nasty. That's what I used to use in my old 4-gallon import, and I didn't like it.

I know I'm not the only one on this NG with a parts washer. What do you use?

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

JR North

I use paint thinner. Cheap, and started using this after asking the same question as you did of another group.

Reply to
carl mciver

I've always used mineral spirits with some ATF mixed in. The ATF seemed to make it a little easier on the hands, although these days I use gloves more often than not.

Reply to
Peter Grey

Stoddard solvent is the official name. It smells, feels, and acts just like mineral spirits paint thinner to me.

DanG

Yep! That's exactly what the "big boys" use, assuming they're using a hydrocarbon solvent. Anyone notice one thing about the name? Solvent? It truly is one, not a thin oil. If you let parts drip dry, they are free of oil, assuming your final wash is with oil free solvent. I *never* use anything aside from mineral spirits or Stoddard for cleaning. The use of kerosene or diesel makes no sense. Neither of them are intended to be used as a solvent, nor do they clean as well as solvents do. Further, can't stand the smell. Stoddard or mineral spirits are each much easier on the nose. In the end, if you have no way to dispose of them when they're fully contaminated, all you have to do is set them outdoors and allow the solvent to evaporate. Leaves you with very little sludge to dispose of.

Does anyone need to say anything about *not* using gasoline? Great way to reduce the family gene pool..

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Reply to
Aaron Anderson

Pay a visit to your local petroleum distributor and you'll likely see a huge tank labeled mineral spirits. From this one tank they will fill drums labeled mineral spirits, paint thinner, solvent.

Reply to
John Kunkel

We use a 80/20 mix of Simple Green Crystal (aqueous cleaner) and Kool-Mist 77 (aqueous cutting fluid), diluted 8:1 with water. Cleans great, doesn't burn or smell, and when you're done with it, just dump it down the drain.

Reply to
Tim Killian

No I won't.......

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

OK, don't laugh. I have tried: Kerosene, Stoddard, diesel, Tri-cholosomething 111, and the best all-around is automatic dishwasher detergent. I get it from a food-supply house CHEAP! My tank is heated and pumped so I just come back later.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'm having trouble finding *anything* cheap. My target price is $1/gal. Some of the paint supply places in my area want over $12 a gallon for paint thinner!

On another note, I see that Grainger's "Super Agitene" brand is 97% aliphatic petroleum spirits, in other words paint thinner, in other words mineral spirits, in other words Stoddard solvent.

By the way, I have *never* seen "Stoddard solvent" for sale. I'm sure I could find it online. I heard "it's stocked up in Canada" so one time when I was up there I tried a hardware store and a paint store. Nothing but blank looks.

Anyone actually know of a real source for paint thinner/mineral spirits in the Seattle/Eastside area that's cheap? I don't need another $15 price on 2.5 gallons, thanks.

Grant

Tom Gardner wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I dont know how your gonna find anything petroleum based for $1 gal, considering where the current prices are for all petroleum distilates i.e. gasoline, diesel, heating oil, kero.

An interesting thought, Bio diesel has some extreme solvent properties. So much so that it can cause pump seals to swell. Because of this it's blended at 20% B20 with diesel or heating oil depending on the purpose. Now if one was to use B100 (100% Bio), it might do a very good job in a parts washer, be alot cheaper that Grainger, safe to use, and pleasant smelling.

Reply to
Tony

I buy stanisol, or mineral spirits at a local oil supplier. Last I paid was $3 a gallon about a year ago. Good luck getting it for less! Sometimes I have seen paint thinner, mineral spirits for a dollar or so on sale at one of the chain home stores. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

snip----

I was paying $2/gallon routinely until the oil market went ballistic. Don't have any idea what they're asking now. I bought 10 gallons, so I still have a little left.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

The last I bought about 6 months ago was $2 but it may of gone up since then. Then again they've got a pretty good sized tank of it and I doubt they sell that much. If they've had to refill I bet it'll be higher.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

I've used "Solvent 365" from Tarr, Inc. in Auburn, WA 253-859-2979, they're in the phone book. It's a petro solvent, can says it contains naptha, no detail other than that. They have other stuff available, if I remember, it wasn't that cheap, but I don't use that much. Give them a call and ask what they might have that meets your needs. If I didn't still have old stock on hand, for a little while anyway, I'd consider an odorless product, like odorless mineral spirits, that is sure nice to use, but then I can't stand the smell of mineral spirits for some reason. Another thought, is Don Small & Sons in Auburn, 253-833-0430. They deal in just about all types of oils and lubes, race gas, home heating oil, etc. Check with them, they might have something. nic

Reply to
nic

We used to have an "Ozzy Juice" parts washer which didn't work too bad. We also used Stoddard for testing mechanical fuel pumps...

Reply to
Rick

Grant Erwin wrote: ...

Paint thinner has a standard sale price of $1.99/gal (around here, anyhow). Amazingly, it has had that sale price for at least 14 YEARS! Through all the oil price gyrations, paint thinner goes on sale for $1.99. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

BBQ lighter fluid also; using mineral spirits saves a ton of $$$ when compared with buying the _same_ product with a label that says "Briquette lighter fluid".

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken