Petroleum vs Aqueous Parts Washing Fluid and RUST!

Here's something interesting.
I have a Graymills 800-A parts washer.
http://goo.gl/a7k4g
It is supposed to be used with a petroleum based solvent. I would,
naturally, prefer to use a water base solvent.
If I can use water instead of Petroleum, I can save a huge amount of money, EPA hassles, disposal fees, actual headaches from fumes, etc. So, I am very interested in finding a solution!
I called Graymills company today and asked them, what would happen if I put water with Simple Green in this parts cleaner.
The guy said, it will work just fine, it will clean, and the pump will pump, but it will start rusting.
So, now I am thinking about preventing rust.
1) Can I add some kind of rust inhibitor to the water/Simple green solution?
2) Can I, perhaps, fashion some zinc anode or something, like they do on outboard motors for boats?
Any other ideas?
thanks!
Ignoramus27349 wrote:

Zep makes an anti-rust product #1049. I use it in the water table for my CNC plasma cutting. 8oz per gal of water, or 1 gal per 500gal tank capacity per the label. It comes in 5gal and 55gal sizes only BTW. I don't know about it's compatibility with cleaners.

Pete, where do you get this product?
Ignoramus27349 wrote:

I bought it directly from Zep. I picked it up at a Zep plant/warehouse a bit south of Dallas (Desoto) to save the shipping cost as well. I originally tried to have my local Home Depot order it since they carry Zep products, but it seems the division of Zep they deal with doesn't make the Anti-rust product.
Pete C. wrote:

I run Simple Green in my parts washers. Do they rust? Yep, they are made of steel!. Does the Simple green seem to hasten the rust. Nope. If you have a good coat of paint inside it helps but the best thing I have done so far was to drain, clean and blast the interior of the tank, then spray it with truck bed liner. Makes it VERY tough and stops the damage in the tank. The next item is to keep the solvent clean. I do that with a pair of filters. First stage is a filter on the intake to keep the big crud out of the pump. I use a custom made bracket with a small engine air filter on it. Then the solvent goes through the pump and out through a filter adapter that holds a Ford oil filter. (PH-8 or similar) Then out of the filter to a bulkhead fitting and into the hose to the brush.
--
Steve W.

"Steve W." wrote:

The Line-X truck bed coating is particularly nice. I hear the Line-X folks get to go out in the field to spray a lot of oil field equipment around here.
I just had to look - http://www.zep.com/products/products.aspx?CatalogMode=1&CategoryID=1&SearchTerm 49 Says:
A protective coating for ferrous surfaces where safety, low-odor, short-term protection and paintability are important. Leaves no visible residue. Will not interfere with subsequent painting of treated surfaces.
Sounds good. MSDS says 10-20% by weight triethanolamine and <5% by weight sodium nitrite, neither of which are particularly nasty at the final concentrations (I guess the TEA is for pH control? and the sodium nitrite will be sacrificially oxidized to nitrate to protect the iron surface). Should rinse right off whatever you clean with just water, and the MSDS says it is not hazardous waste. Lots of industrial cleaning supply houses are Zep distributors so it shouldn't be hard to find locally to you. Only real question is how often do you need to replenish it?
----- Regards, Carl Ijames "Pete C." wrote in message
Ignoramus27349 wrote:

Zep makes an anti-rust product #1049. I use it in the water table for my CNC plasma cutting. 8oz per gal of water, or 1 gal per 500gal tank capacity per the label. It comes in 5gal and 55gal sizes only BTW. I don't know about it's compatibility with cleaners.
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 18:50:05 -0400, "Carl Ijames"

sodium nitrite is used in plasma cutter water tanks to prevent rust. It is readily available for a low cost. Seen regularly on eBay for example.
Karl

IIRC TEA is the main ingredient in quite a few of the "synthetic" water soluble metalworking fluids particularilt those targeted for cutting aluminum.