Why is parts washing solvent so expensive

I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?
Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of that stuff.
Thanks
Ignoramus5263 wrote:

Three letters - E - P - A
The big shops are using heated parts washers with water based solvents now.
On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 12:34:39 -0500, Ignoramus5263

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner
1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.
1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits
CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent.
1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.
(Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)
I skip the acetone and use WD40 for the stoddard solvent
Karl

What about kerosene? Any thoughts?
"Ignoramus5263" wrote in message wrote:

What about kerosene? Any thoughts?
In the motorcycle shop we used and old pop machine, filled with kerosene. The pop machine was the top opening type, slightly modified.
Steve R.
On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 18:20:08 -0500, Ignoramus5263

Like you, I normally think of Kero as being relatively safe, but within the past two weeks in Central PA near here a farmer and his son were burned over most of their bodies when a diesel tank exploded when they were grinding something under the truck either on the tank or near it. Not enough detail in the newspaper to know exactly what they were doing and why it happened, but the paper suggested that they were just grinding near the tank. They're now both in the burn unit at Allentown Hospital.
In another episode, a number of years ago, a construction truck ran out of diesel and it was night. The boss's son brought some fuel and they were filling the tank. Since they didn't have a flashlight, the son lit a match and held it over the tank to see how much he had in it and had an explosion. He wasn't too severely injured. The latter anecdote from my brother in law who witnessed the incident and had told the kid he didn't think it was a very good idea to be lighting matches around the tank. Since they were fueling, there was probably a lot of fumes coming off the fill neck. It might be a similar situation with a parts washer spraying kero on a part.
RWL
On 2011-09-10, GeoLane at PTD dot NET <GeoLane> wrote:
    [ ... ]

    Hmm ... reminds me of what I saw on a side street some 20 years ago or more. A car had run out of gas at night. It was one of those with the fill pipe behind the rear license plate. They were pouring into that with a flex-neck can. I could see fumes pouring out of the neck in the light from my headlights.
    About two feet behind the fill neck and can was a burning road flare to keep people from running into them. Since I had my wife along at the time, I just zipped past as quickly as I could. When we got out of the restaurant later, there was no sign of any problems there, so they must have been *very* lucky.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

And that reminds me of a comment made by an international sales manager of a major EDM company some decades ago. In third-world countries, they use kerosene for EDM dielectric fluid. It works very well and it's cheap.
"I never have trouble figuring out where the toolmaking neighborhoods are when I fly into one of those airports," he said. "I just look for the plumes of black smoke."
--
Ed Huntress

On 9/9/2011 1:34 PM, Ignoramus5263 wrote:

This doesn't answer the question asked, but many businesses are using outfits like this to supply the stuff and haul it away:
<http://www.safety-kleen.com/products/CleaningEquipment/Pages/SolventPartsWashers.aspx
if you are talking 40-50 gallons, you are getting into the territory where the EPA/DEP might get interested. It might be good to have paperwork.
Kevin Gallimore

<http://www.safety-kleen.com/products/CleaningEquipment/Pages/SolventPartsWashers.aspx
Illinois also has thier own state run EPA to contend with. You gonna need a big paper trail if they come a knocken.
Best Regards Tom.

What kind of paper trail?

Disposal of spent solvents. Hydrocarbon spills can be very expensive to clean up. A passer by made a call on thier cell phone and it cost my neighbor 50k after the guys in the space suits got done with him. He was cleaning electric motors behind his shop on his driveway. He did not have any paperwork for proper disposal. Apparently the passer by called the 800 number to report illegal dumping.
Best Regards Tom.

Frightening!

It took 3 years to resolve. He had to hire an eviromental lawyer to defend him in court. He was threatended with criminal charges, jail time. This was back in the 90's its probobaly worse now.
Best Regards Tom.

I shopped for it, and said fergeddabout it. That stuff is more than a good single malt scotch in some cases. I ended up with a mixture of stuff, mostly water and oxy clean, plus a little paint thinner, and other stuff that has washed down there. But I don't use mine a lot. I really need to take it apart, and inspect, as I noticed a good bit of corrosion when I first got it.
I'd be interested in a good cheap all around safe cleaner, too. I ain't spending that much for enough for my $15 yard sale 30 gal. Snap-On unit. Sorry, I'm just cheap.
Steve

What about straight kerosene? It should have a decently low flammability and is good for dissolving grime.

I just use the purple degreaser from home depot.

Lastly I saw it at HD, it was about $10 per gallon. My tank is a 30 gallon on end, so would take about 20 gallons. I guess I could shop it at a supplier, and get it for less.
Steve

I have two of them right now (not that I need two, just happen to have two at the moment).
Well, one tank is about 20 gallons, and another is 50-80 gallons... I guess the big one will have to go.

That would be decided on by how much you use yours. And by the rule that if you get rid of it, you will need it within a week. I use mine very seldom, but when I do, I'm glad I have one. And for $15 at a yard sale for a Snap-On, how could I go wrong. If I never use it, it makes me look SOOOOOOOO professional in my shop. ;-)
Steve