Parts washer solvent options (and then disposal of used solvent)

As a hobbiest, I do not have the same option such as a service that changes out the parts washer solvent. I have a 20 gal parts washer with with a electric pump and sprayer. In the past I have used paint thinner as the solvent. A local paint supply store sold the thinner in bulk (at $2/gal, the price was right) and the evaporation was not too fast. Now I have to buy the paint thinner at retail.

At the other end, disposing of the dirty solvent poses a problem for me. Lately, I have been thinking that if my solvent were say kerosene or diesel (an oil) maybe I could dispose of the dirty solvent with the used oil that my local autoparts accept for free. I do not want to be the person that "contaminates" the used oil bin.

I have also been thinking of adding an engine oil filter between the pump and the sprayer, not sure that the pump has enough power to push the solvent thru a filter. If it works, I might not need to change the solvent for many years.

I know that there are water based solvents (Simple Green, etc) out there. Question is, how does one dispose of the water based solvent

- I could flush it down the sanitary sewer - but does that not cause potential issues at the water treatment plant (I presume that there is still oil in the water emulsion)?

What do you do? WHat do you suggest?

Reply to
aribert

I do have a filter on my PW. Just use a racing style remote filter mount. They clog easy, as the pump will push through a clean filter but it dies out fast as it gets dirty.

I use Hertitage Crytal Clean to service mine, much cheaper than Safety Kleen. They have a "top off" service, if it's not dirty they just add a little solvent to top it off back to the full line and leave, Still cots about $50.00 but its less than the $140 for a full change out.

As far as I know the water/soap types must be heated to work well. Contact your local sewer authority and ask them, I know mine does not like heavy metals or copper in the waste water.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

My primary parts cleaner is a 55-gallon drum. It has a false floor about

12 inches down. Another 12 inches down is the pump. I use kerosene or diesel oil. The bottom 10-12" is water. The idea is that the heavier particles settle into the water and keeps the solvent cleaner. Seems to work.

If you have one of the Chinese units with a flat bottom, a magnetic engine heater is perfect for that.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Be cafeful if the bottom of the drum rusts through. Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Have you found need of disposing of the solvent? If so, where to you off load the kero or diesel? This to me is the biggest issue.

My parts washer is infact of of the chinese units. I have a brick under the legs opposite of the pump end and then a couple more bricks inside of the tank to reduce the volume

The idea of needing to heat up the water based cleaner does not appeal to me - I do not use the parts washer frequently and consequently would not want to keep it heated up, on the other hand when I want to use it, I would not want to have to wait for the solution to heat up.

Reply to
aribert

No, I am still using the same solvent, replenished periodically with fresh. I expect when I need to

I'm not certain that's essential. Simple Green and Super Clean (purple cleaner) work just fine when cold, or at least room temp. You do need to be aware those both will eat up aluminum if not rinsed immediately after cleaning.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Your local Hasardous Waste Collection Site should take spent Solvent. Safet y Kleen may be more pricey but is much healthier on your hands. Varsol can eat away at your liver so isn't best choice. Diesel is Ok but smelly/oily a nd does not work as well. Filters will remove particles but not the hasardo us materials. The older and more used solvent, the worse it gets. Water bas ed products should not be used on precision parts...rust is possible on the se parts if not completely dried.

Reply to
thebogles

ety Kleen may be more pricey but is much healthier on your hands. Varsol ca n eat away at your liver so isn't best choice. Diesel is Ok but smelly/oily and does not work as well. Filters will remove particles but not the hasar dous materials. The older and more used solvent, the worse it gets. Water b ased products should not be used on precision parts...rust is possible on t hese parts if not completely dried.

Realizing this is an eight year old thread, I just want to say that 40 or s o years ago, I had a small motorcycle shop. I used Safety Kleen and it was pretty cheap. The guy would come weekly, pick up the dirty drum and drop o ff a clean one. It was something of a luxury to always have clean solvent a nd again, it wasn't even close to being expensive. Of course, that was then ...

Reply to
rangerssuck

I've always had the "safety kleen" solution when at m,y place of work.

I've also used old solvent type parts cleaning fluid as an accellerant to burn trash in the past. basically de-odorized Kerosene - or "parafin"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

te:

Safety Kleen may be more pricey but is much healthier on your hands. Varsol can eat away at your liver so isn't best choice. Diesel is Ok but smelly/o ily and does not work as well. Filters will remove particles but not the ha sardous materials. The older and more used solvent, the worse it gets. Wate r based products should not be used on precision parts...rust is possible o n these parts if not completely dried.

r so years ago, I had a small motorcycle shop. I used Safety Kleen and it was pretty cheap. The guy would come weekly, pick up the dirty drum and dro p off a clean one. It was something of a luxury to always have clean solven t and again, it wasn't even close to being expensive. Of course, that was t hen...

Don't know whether it's still true, but back then, they told me that Safety Kleen was made from out of date jet fuel. That gave it a certain "coolness " factor.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Jet A is ultra-pure Kerosene, nothing more.

Reply to
David Lesher

Not exactly, there are additives:

And it does degrade over time:

Anyhow, this was something told to me by The Safety Kleen sales guy who may have been full of it.

Reply to
rangerssuck