Dishwasher as a parts washer

Awl--

A coworker is cleaning out his garage, and has a dishwasher. Material compatibility aside, couldn't I run solvent into the inlet, and the drain into a bucket, and use this as a bad-assed parts washer? Yeah, I know, disconnect the dryer/heating element. :) I'm assuming inlet water pressure (60 psi) would not be req'd, as it has its own pressurizing pump? Or spins it centrifugally? If it did need 60 at the inlet, I could do this w/ a sep. pump.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I think you should try it just because it would be fun. Are you gonna fill the bucket with Simple Green? I know washing a motorcycle engine in the dishwasher inside the house will turn the inside of the white washer beige. Forever.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Use the premium Cascade liquid dishwasher soap. I doubt anything else would do better.

Use the outlet pump to push it to a reservoir high above the dishwasher, gravity feed back down.

2nd that!

"Honest Honey, it's been beige all along!"

Reply to
Rex B

Yep. Works well - but dont EVER try to do dishes in in afterwards. Keep it stock, use dishwasher powder - its heavily loaded with alkaline salts, so rips through grease. BUT - does horrible things to aluminium.

A good score - congrats...

Andrew VK3bFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Just to test the theory, go to any dishwasher, and toss in some Liquid Palmolive, or some Dawn. Dawn is very good on grease. Just to see how it could work. It is a good experiment to prove the concept.=20 Pete

Reply to
Half-nutz

I tried using a dishwasher to wash parts of my Kalashnikov and was disappointed. They acquired a slight layer of rust after washing.

Ignoramus11550

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message news:Qar6h.705$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...

PV, I know a machine shop using a dishwasher just as you want to do. It works well. But what to do with the waste water?

AHHA! See my thread on the UF filter for disposing of water based coolants and such.

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas

Don't bother with the inlet, just pour the solvent right in the dishwasher. But if you mean petroleum based solvent, I wouldn't. Just use dishwasher detergent, as others have said.

If you're not using solvent, leave the heater in, it will clean much better with hot water.

The pump spins the arm(s) using angled jets.

See above.

You might want to change the wiring a little. For instance, disconnect the drain valve so it just keeps using the same water/solution. Or put it on a separate switch. Maybe you just want to put the motor & heater on a switch and not use the built in controls at all.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Danger, danger, Will Robinson! :-) Dishwashers don't like foam at all, and regular liquid dishwashing detergeants like those are made to foam up a lot so they look like they are really doing something in the sink. Put them in a dishwasher and you can easily wind up with the stereotypical floor covered in foam - btdt. Dishwashing detergeants for automatic dishwashers are very low foam.

-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net (remove nospm or make the obvious changes before replying)

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Use conventional dishwashing powder. It is a bleach compound that needs heat to work so run your heating elements. (hottest cycle) Immediately after the dishwasher has completed its cycle open and remove all your parts. They should be warm. Blow off any residual moisture with a blast of air. Waste water can be handled by sewage treatment. Many households pour their cooking oil down the sanitary sewer in my local area. Randy

--

------ Mr. P.V.'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY

Stop Corruption in Congress & Send the Ultimate Message: Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican. Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way* to Materially Improve Your Family's Life. The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

entropic3.14decay at optonline2.718 dot net; remove pi and e to reply--ie, all d'numbuhs

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Appreciate quit crossposting this kinda thing.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

That's because you didn't dry them and oil immediately . The dishwasher stripped all the oil , which is what it's s'posed to do .

Reply to
Snag

Um, they had rust when I took them out of the washer. I was unclear.

Ignoramus18503

in

Ya! The nerve of you to cross post something that is on topic when there is so much religion and politics to talk about!

Reply to
Dave Lyon

the local shop uses one quite successfully. sammmm

Reply to
SAMMM

Just don't use a solvent/cleaner that will eat the seals. Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Man! You guys sure are a bunch of spoilsports! It was a good setup there. Pete

Reply to
Half-nutz

How about using the same type of low foaming soap that you use in a tumbler?

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

I use the dishwasher to clean black powder weapon parts . As soon as the drying cycle starts , I pull them and hit them *immediately* with WD40 or other light oil/solvent . If I don't do this , I get a light coating of flash rust , which is what you're (apparently) describing .

Reply to
Snag

Exactly what happened in my case.

Ignoramus18503