Dishwasher as a parts washer

Awl--
A coworker is cleaning out his garage, and has a dishwasher. Material compatibility aside, couldn't I run solvent into the inlet, and the
drain into a bucket, and use this as a bad-assed parts washer? Yeah, I know, disconnect the dryer/heating element. :) I'm assuming inlet water pressure (60 psi) would not be req'd, as it has its own pressurizing pump? Or spins it centrifugally? If it did need 60 at the inlet, I could do this w/ a sep. pump.
--
------
Proctologically Violated wrote:

I think you should try it just because it would be fun. Are you gonna fill the bucket with Simple Green? I know washing a motorcycle engine in the dishwasher inside the house will turn the inside of the white washer beige. Forever.
Later,
Charlie
Charlie Gary wrote:

Use the premium Cascade liquid dishwasher soap. I doubt anything else would do better.

Use the outlet pump to push it to a reservoir high above the dishwasher, gravity feed back down.

2nd that!

"Honest Honey, it's been beige all along!"
Proctologically Violated wrote:

Yep. Works well - but dont EVER try to do dishes in in afterwards. Keep it stock, use dishwasher powder - its heavily loaded with alkaline salts, so rips through grease. BUT - does horrible things to aluminium.
A good score - congrats...
Andrew VK3bFA.
Dish washers in the kitchen is part of the SOP to clean or repair a Teletype. Once out - not dried - just washed - then it is dumped in a barrel of oil. Water is drawn off. Oil soaks into the oil felts.
The dish washing fluid (paste) or powder is a LYE or strong Base and will cause some light grade AL to etch - check kitchen fry pans... handles of plastic ...
The lye does attack most solvent. Just keep it off you! It will turn you to soap. Grease to soap...
Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member http://lufkinced.com /
Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

-
Proctologically Violated wrote:

Just to test the theory, go to any dishwasher, and toss in some Liquid Palmolive, or some Dawn. Dawn is very good on grease. Just to see how it could work. It is a good experiment to prove the concept. Pete

Danger, danger, Will Robinson! :-) Dishwashers don't like foam at all, and regular liquid dishwashing detergeants like those are made to foam up a lot so they look like they are really doing something in the sink. Put them in a dishwasher and you can easily wind up with the stereotypical floor covered in foam - btdt. Dishwashing detergeants for automatic dishwashers are very low foam.
-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net (remove nospm or make the obvious changes before replying)
Carl Ijames wrote:

Man! You guys sure are a bunch of spoilsports! It was a good setup there. Pete
Carl Ijames wrote:

How about using the same type of low foaming soap that you use in a tumbler?
Best, Steve
--
Regards,
Steve Saling

I tried using a dishwasher to wash parts of my Kalashnikov and was disappointed. They acquired a slight layer of rust after washing.
Ignoramus11550 wrote:

That's because you didn't dry them and oil immediately . The dishwasher stripped all the oil , which is what it's s'posed to do .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"

Um, they had rust when I took them out of the washer. I was unclear.
Ignoramus18503 wrote:

I use the dishwasher to clean black powder weapon parts . As soon as the drying cycle starts , I pull them and hit them *immediately* with WD40 or other light oil/solvent . If I don't do this , I get a light coating of flash rust , which is what you're (apparently) describing .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"

Exactly what happened in my case.
Snag wrote:

Pour some ATF into that little compartment for the rinse additive? <G>
Rex B wrote:

If it was in my shop , I might try that ! But this one is in our kitchen .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"

Olive oil or canola? <G>
Mark Rand RTFM
Ignoramus18503 wrote:

yep -- dishwasher detergent is very effective at getting ALL the oil and grease off, and then the machine basically steams the part dry, which will flash-rust iron or steel. You have to nab the parts as soon as the cleaning cycle is done, while they are still damp, then dry them off and immediately oil.
BTW, the detergent will corrode the heck out of brass parts, too -- as I found out the hard way once. Which also lead to learning the following lesson:
DON'T get caught cleaning parts in the family dishwasher! This is NOT a good thing....
Bob
message

PV, I know a machine shop using a dishwasher just as you want to do. It works well. But what to do with the waste water?
AHHA! See my thread on the UF filter for disposing of water based coolants and such.
Gary H. Lucas
Proctologically Violated wrote:

Don't bother with the inlet, just pour the solvent right in the dishwasher. But if you mean petroleum based solvent, I wouldn't. Just use dishwasher detergent, as others have said.

If you're not using solvent, leave the heater in, it will clean much better with hot water.

The pump spins the arm(s) using angled jets.

See above.
You might want to change the wiring a little. For instance, disconnect the drain valve so it just keeps using the same water/solution. Or put it on a separate switch. Maybe you just want to put the motor & heater on a switch and not use the built in controls at all.
Bob