Hydroforming with a pressure washer

Do your friends think that your metalworking hobby is a boring old thing fo r phlegmatic, antiquarian farts? If so, let them watch this loon build a pu
lse jet, hydroforming it with an ordinary pressure washer, and then setting his truck on fire -- sort of -- with the jet.
This is not your garden-variety metalworker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
¼sg5pQimWI
--
Ed Huntress

Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 22 May 2017 07:33:50 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Cool! But damn, I was feeling good about building a fancy aluminum cell phone holder. I need to up my game with propulsion or something. :)
Add pictures here
✖
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 10:43:47 AM UTC-4, Month of May wrote:

for phlegmatic, antiquarian farts? If so, let them watch this loon build a pulse jet, hydroforming it with an ordinary pressure washer, and then sett ing his truck on fire -- sort of -- with the jet.

We need to be more flamboyant. The guy in that video is beyond flamboyant.
--
Ed Huntress

Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 22 May 2017 07:33:50 -0700, edhuntress2 wrote:

That loon has a series of videos. As near as I can tell he's a good metalworker, and the loonyness is a way to sell videos.
I've seen other, more serious, applications of hydroforming with a pressure washer on YouTube. It looks like a solid technique for making some curved surfaces. In fact, Colin (the loon) has a preliminary video to that where he gets the washer and experiments with shapes.
Ferinstance, I think you could make a nice motorcycle fender starting with a banana-shaped flat, puffing it up, and then cutting off the inner part of the resulting balloon.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 11:06:27 AM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:

Yes. To get serious about it, that method is a real eye-opener. Just wear good safety glasses to protect those open eyes. <g>
I never thought about this before. I have been interested in hydroforming (I've written articles about it), but the thought of machining my own force multiplier kept it in the "too much time to do it" category.
I'm going to look at the related videos and see what's being done.
--
Ed Huntress

Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 22 May 2017 08:14:13 -0700, edhuntress2 wrote:

A search on "pressure washer hydroforming" on YouTube gets a slew of results.
Dunno if it'll still pop up, but someone made a really nice fuel tank for a 1910-style motorcycle with one of them.
Given that the usual technique is to weld two flat pieces together, I think you need to be able to put down a _really smooth_ bead. Hicups on the weld will translate into nasties in the final part.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It works very well. I've made a few items using this method. Steel is much easier to work with. Aluminum is a PIA because you need to be 100% sure that everything is dead soft and you need to watch the pressures or you just teat things apart...
--
Steve W.

Add pictures here
✖
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 6:04:21 PM UTC-4, Steve W. wrote:

That's really interesting. I wouldn't have guessed that it would work so well.
--
Ed Huntress

Add pictures here
✖
Do your friends think that your metalworking hobby is a boring old thing for phlegmatic, antiquarian farts? If so, let them watch this loon build a pulse jet, hydroforming it with an ordinary pressure washer, and then setting his truck on fire -- sort of -- with the jet.
This is not your garden-variety metalworker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
¼sg5pQimWI
--
Ed Huntress

I noticed he is wearing a neck tie while working.
✖
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 11:21:37 AM UTC-4, Howard Beel wrote:

If so, I hope he knows to tuck it inside his shirt. Those old machining photos from the 1920s and '30s, with photos of operators with their ties tucked in, always gave me the creeps.
--
Ed Huntress

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

One thing is clear. He is a GOOD welder. Besides a few pinholes, the welds on that thing held through some serious torture.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 12:36:59 PM UTC-4, Jon Elson wrote:

That was my thought, too, although I don't TIG weld and I don't know what would be reasonable.
--
Ed Huntress

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I DO TIG weld, but I'm quite sure my skills are NOT up to that level. I definitely can put stuff together, but those welds held despite severe stress.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖

Greetings Jon, Your welds may be better than you think strength wise. If you are getting 100% penetration with no voids and no contamination of the weld or HAZ then I'll be your welds are good enough. I sometimes TIG weld 3/4" bi-metal bandsaw blades in my shop. The beads are of course always proud of the surface and after grinding flush I see no porosity in my welds and the welds always hold. I do do a little TIG welding for money in my shop but I only weld about a few hours a month on average. Maybe all you need to do is get better at making pretty welds. Eric
Add pictures here
✖