Hotsy Pressure washer questions

One of the things I brought home this weekend..was a Mod 530 Hotsy pressure washer. It had not been run in at least 5 yrs..so they declared it surplus and loaded it into my trailer with a fork lift.

I had to replace the fuel lines (diesel/fuel oil burner) and putz with the pressure switches, grease the pump etc etc etc. One wheel was a cripple, so used the pair I got at the last show in Visalia (perfect size..$5 for the pair)

Works pretty good. However...I think its running too rich. Now this may be due to a worn orfice, or the fuel/air mixture is not right. Air mixture apparently is changed by opening/closing a vented band that goes around the air intake side of the motor/blower housing. If I open it too much..I get white smoke and not much heat. If I close it too much..I get a faint black smoke and not a lot of heat.

There is no online manual on the Hotsy website. Anyone know of the proper way to set fuel air mixture on a #2 fuel oil blower/igniter gizmo? Or what I should be looking for as far as the exhaust output is concerned? Do I need to buy a new nozzle? (I dont think Ive got a drill bit that small anymore) I think...think there is too much fuel going out the nozzle as the water tubes in the boiler are now pretty blackened with soot (after filling the tank with a 5 gallon can here marked Diesel..but had way way too much oil in it...had to dump it and go buy some fresh..which did cause it to burn ..the first stuff wouldnt even catch fire..and covered the tubes with oil..which smoked a bit as it burned off.

Anyone know what the orfice size should be? I can solder it shut..then redrill maybe.

I figure this is about the same sort of burner as a residential oil burner..so...

Thanks

Gunner, now able to clean nasty oily machine tools squeeky clean

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Can't answer your orifice question in any serious way (lots of off-color humor comes to mind) but I commend you on your find. A hot steamer will indeed be useful around your place. I have used hot water under pressure to take off grime from surprising places. You can also use it to make money removing graffiti should you choose to, don't know how much tagging goes on in Taft ..

GWE

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to
JR North

You will need to replace the nozzle with a new one, available at any oil burner supply, or from Hotsy. You can't just drill it out, anymore than you could drill out a fuel injector, it is not a simple hole (complex fluid dynamics). There are various atomizing spray patterns, (semi solid, hollow, or solid), and the proper GPH rating. You must also set the pump pressure to 100psi, adjust the air band setting, and check for proper ignition (Set electrodes).

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Cool. Now how do I adjust the fuel pump pressure? Its an outboard pump mounted to the end of the blower motor, with no obvious adjustments. Just a "brake" style bleeder, a drain, a gauge port and a second return port, all plugged off.

Ajusted the air band for the best setting possible, but its still too rich

Ignition was adjusted perfectly according to the diagram on the ignitor cover.

Ill do a web search and see if there is a Hotsy dealer in So. Cal I can stop in.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner