Any successful replacements for Varsol 1 in a parts washer?

I've been using Varsol 1 (designer-brand paint thinner) in my parts washer for years. The pump motor died yesterday and I need a replacement. Well, like so often when you start working on something, I'd like to improve it a bit. The best improvement I can think of would be to get rid of the Varsol; the MSDS warnings about central nervous system problems bothers me, and frankly I've never liked the smell. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I never had this problem with scotch.

A year or so ago I was buying tubes at a bicycle store, and they had this citrus based cleaner. The guy said it would clean bicycle chains, and he was right. Stiff price, though, about 8 bucks for 16 ounces.

Now, everybody and their brother has a branded citrus-based product out there on the market. The prices vary wildly.

Apparently, the active stuff is "d-limonene", which is distilled from citrus skin pressings. Go figure.

Some products have an emulsifier that lets you cut them with water, and some don't.

That's the extent of my knowledge on the subject :-)

I'd like to pop for a 55 gallon drum, but I know so little about it that I thought I'd ask you all for your experiences:

1) Is the citrus stuff OK with ordinary buna-n / nitrile pump seals? 2) Any particularly favorable (or unfavorable) product reviews? 3) For a Varsol-replacement application, go full strength or cut with water? 4) Are there any common materials out there that were OK with Varsol but the citrus stuff will tear up?

Thanks very much for your help! Dave

Reply to
LowEnergyParticle

We have been using caustic cleaners and are now testing a citrus based cleaner. I just got a sample gallon yesterday. Our questions are similar to yours. Let me know if you want a sample spray bottle. I will trade a sample for test results.

Tom

Reply to
president

Tom,

Thanks very much for the kind offer, but I'm really not set up to do testing on this sort of problem. If the stuff destroys finish on aluminum, or melts nitrile seals, or whatever, I'd kind of like to know up front. I'm hoping someone on RCM has experiences they can share on this.

Thank you again for the offer. Dave

Reply to
LowEnergyParticle

| I'd like to pop for a 55 gallon drum, but I know so little about it | that I thought I'd ask you all for your experiences: | | 1) Is the citrus stuff OK with ordinary buna-n / nitrile pump seals? | 2) Any particularly favorable (or unfavorable) product reviews? | 3) For a Varsol-replacement application, go full strength or cut with | water? | 4) Are there any common materials out there that were OK with Varsol | but the citrus stuff will tear up? | | Thanks very much for your help! | Dave

I work for a large aircraft manufacturer and we use Citra-Safe for cleaning a lot of the airplane surfaces. For some processes residue has to be removed with other solvents or water, but if it were unsafe on aluminum, it wouldn't get anywhere near an airplane. I couldn't tell you about the seals for sure, but since it's an organic compound, I can't see it being an issue with synthetic seals. Hit up the maker and ask them.

Reply to
carl mciver

I've had experience with just about every known cleaning solvent. Mek, Acetone various alcohols (beer fits in there) and some of those citrus products. I find them obnoxious. The citrus smell in the examples I have tried was added in to mask what they really were. Some various compounds of petroleum distilates. They do work and will strip off almost any contaminant. Just use mineral spirits outdoors if you can. Always use rubber gloves and eye protection unless you want to be childless and have emergency room bills. Another good mix is kerosene and auto transmission fluid.

Reply to
daniel peterman