used motor oil sprayer

Has anyone here effectivly sprayed used motor oil on the underside of their vehicles as a rust inhibitor? I tryed a garden sprayer but the viscosity was
too high to work properly. Im thinking, fueloil furnace pump & modified nozzle. Im sure that 1 or more of you guys has done this successfully.
This might work.
http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyAsk/harborfreight/results.jsp
The undercoat these guns shoot, like 3M "Body Shutz", is quite viscous. It's a lot better than motor oil for undercoating, but a lot pricier as well.
On 28 Sep 2004 19:51:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Wwj2110) wrote:

||On 28 Sep 2004 19:51:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Wwj2110) wrote: || ||> Has anyone here effectivly sprayed used motor oil on the underside of their ||>vehicles as a rust inhibitor? I tryed a garden sprayer but the viscosity was ||>too high to work properly. Im thinking, fueloil furnace pump & modified nozzle.
I use used motor oil to renew the crosstie retaining walls on my property. Keeps them looking new , and keeps the bugs & rot away. I apply it with a simple air siphon sprayer made by Milton. Costs abut $15, lasts forever, and will spray most anything up to latex paint (but don't do that!). It comes with a 10-ft vinyl hose. Drop that in a jug of oil and press the trigger. Wear a mask or respirator, you don't want to inhale any of the aerosol oil.
I suppose you could also use an airless paint sprayer. Texas Parts Guy

When I first saw this subject I immediately thought of spraying used motor oil on a dirt road. I'd like to go it, but understand that it is against the law.
About the original post: Yes it would be an effective rust inhibitor, I know the oil pan on my PU isn't rusted at all ! <grin> Most people try to stop oil from getting on the underside of their vehicles because it means something is leaking that shouldn't be. Wouldn't spraying it with undercoat be a better option? I know it would last longer.
Lane
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:55:13 -0700, "Lane"

What about if you were to haul a leaky drum of used oil and "accidently" coat the road surface? Probably have to do the clean up thing

It must either be pre '90s or less than five years old.

Gerry :-)} London, Canada
I've heard of guys doing it. My 2 cents is to put a screen/filter on the pickup to avoid the carbon/rust/debris from plugging your jet or, alternatively, filter the oil before loading the undercoating cannister or whatever people recommend.
Also, my bet is a scavenged hydraulic pump would work, but that's purely speculation.
--G--
On 28 Sep 2004 19:51:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Wwj2110) wrote:

Sand blaster!

Sounds good, spraying oil that has acids in it, to stop corrosion. I've used chainsaw oil mixed with WD40, and a wd40 spray bottle. Pat

viscosity